Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 1 - Full Penetration

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I took Mason out again this morning. We saw three coyotes, three bucks, buncha ducks and crows, one hawk and one owl. Pretty decent morning. One of the bucks turned two or three steps before walking into Mason's shooting lane. I thought we had that one.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Took Mason to the stand where he killed his first deer at the age of 7. We bumped two does while slipping in. Didn't see too much until 645. The Ugly 6, and a deer that looks just like he did at 2 1/2 showed up. Unfortunately, the big old Ugly did not get within range. Good grief that deer is huge. He is 6.5 yrs old now, and getting fatter every year. I've had pics of him for four years, and have passed him each of the last two seasons. This is the first time I've seen him before Halloween in all these years though. Really hoping Mason gets a crack at him!

bowieoutdoors

*Supporting member*
Went out yesterday for the first time. My original goal was to shoot a doe but after getting out there I was so tired I decided I didn't want to deal with it but still wanted to be out there. Hunted morning and evening and saw deer consistently throughout. Saw four smaller bucks and several does with multiple shot opportunities. Overall it was a pretty good first day in the woods and gave me good confidence for the season.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Good deal on finally getting out!
I went to another property closer to home this morning. The white oaks on this farm are barren. I saw two squirrels before climbing down to scout. I bumped two deer while walking the backside of the farm, but the sign just isn't there as it was in years past. I'll leave it alone for a week or two before checking it out again. When the crops come off that place may look a lot different.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I saw 5 antlerless deer this morning, and there was something interesting....One of them had a "bobtail". I've never seen her before, at least not since she's lost her tail! She is one big old doe too, had one fawn with her. There was another big doe with her that had no fawns in tow. Got to watch wood ducks in the creek again, and a few squirrels. I'm gonna have to move that stand pretty soon as it's getting pretty exposed with the leaves falling. I knew that was gonna happen but figured it would be a good short-term setup, and it was.
I think I am probably done hunting until next weekend at Stroud's.

RUT NUT

I finally got to get out for my first hunt yesterday evening. I had 3 does and 2 button bucks all within 10 yards of me. One of the does spent about 15 minutes directly under me checking out where I had cleared all of the leaves away from the base of the tree I was in. Haha! She must have thought it was a giant scrape. There aren't enough does around where I hunt....so they all 3 got a pass. I need those does around for the rut. After the rut is over....none of them are safe! I did manage to take a few pictures and videos. Here are a few pics I took. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350144600.041534.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350144615.828169.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1350144628.022010.jpg

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Cool pics! I'm in the same boat with does. I have seen more this year than in years past, but nothing like we used to have. I will let my son shoot one if he wants, but I am giving them a pass as I have since 06 or so.