Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 10

Schu72

Streetsboro
I was out opening morning and it couldn't have gone much worse. Turns out a few others had permission on the same property. Was a total cluster fuck. Never even had a chance to work a bird. Stayed until 11 and called it a day. Don't expect to be back out until Saturday.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Nice Seth!... I'm finally gonna get out in the morning the way the weather is looking. My buddy has stayed out of the place we're going till we could go together. Good place to pull off a double. We'll see how it goes...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stuck a jake with my bow this morning. Hit him just below the neck at 30 yards. Can't find him or my arrow. Dang!
Arrow
Must be buried in the ground or under weeds.
He walked away like nothing happened, but I'm pretty dang sure I hit him. Would've been my first bird and settled for the first thing that came in since it's with a bow.
Back in the saddle for a bit longer today.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
That sucks Mike. That is my biggest fear about using a bow. Your becoming a turkey hunting addict quickly dude!!!!!!!! I like it rotflmao

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I keep reliving the shot over and over again. Two jakes came in together, silent. They got sight of the gobbler and hen decoy and I think the gobbler decoy freaked them out a bit. They froze up around 30 yards and started long necking trying to get a better look. I just zeroed in on the middle of the neck figuring if I missed the neck high or low it would still be a kill shot. It appeared to be about 2" low (I figured it to be 30 yards, but may have been off a tad). When it hit he fluttered his wings once, then just kind of walked away. the other jake calmly followed him.

I spent the next hour looking for my hour and then roamed the area along the logging roads and in the brush looking for him. Stinks. I just hope now that I missed. I'll be taking the metal detector over there next chance I get and see if I can find the arrow. With this rain, I won't learn anything form the arrow, but it would be nice to at least get it back. The whole thing happened in a little 50 yard field so the arrow has to be buried in the weeds.

I know one thing, I love this new bow. As soon as I hit that release that arrow was on that bird.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
Missed my target bird this morning. Just made a bad shot. He flew across the ravine and started gobbling again. I'll be right back in there at 530 again tomorrow...

Schu72

Streetsboro
Sorry I haven't had much to post. Planned to be out this past weekend, but came down with the crud. Probably still would have went if I wouldn't have had the nagging cough. Wish I could hunt Thursday, but it looks like I'm going to have to waint until Saturday to get back out. Good luck to everyone.

Schu72

Streetsboro
Slow start to the morning, but ended up finding a strutter. Couldn't pull him off the hens, but after an hour of waiting they fed my way. Then my horrible season continued as I fired off a warning shot that barley scared them. Then the ejector would not grab the spent shell so no follow up. Not a happy camper.

JD Boyd

*Supporting Member*
Urbana
I've still been hunting when I can get out. Only made it out twice last week. Wed night nothing but yesterday afternoon had a tom and four Jakes in the field for three hours. Jakes came in but the tom would never get any closer than a 100 yards. Rain in the forecast this week so I should get out some more...

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I stuck another gobbler this morning with the bow. A big tom. My arrow was left in shreds and I never found him. It looked like an explosion when my arrow hit. Feathers went everywhere and, what I found out later, parts of my arrow. I'm sick about it and will not use a bow again. I thought it was a good hit, but he putted off and I never found him. All I found was splintered remains of my arrow. Really crazy and a mystery I will never solve.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Here's what I found at the impact site. I also found more pieces about 50 yards out from this spot behind where the turkey was standing. I just can't explain it.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1399843887.401273.jpg