Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 2

lung buster

hocking county
Gern and Ohio Sam, you guys ready to rock? Took the boy out before school weds so he could hear a few and we heard zero. Had too work over yesterday and wife said one was going crazy at 0900. Go figure.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Went out and put them to bed tonight, they were gobbling good even with a wind and drizzle. They are roosting at the edge of a pasture, the woods behind them is very open. I've had much better luck getting them to come back into the woods then out in the pasture.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
No gobbling on the roost this morning. So we went looking for them and found a flock out in a field. Had a long beard and 2 jakes at about 40 yards. Couldn't shoot because they positioned themselves between me and one of the few houses in the area. Of course the boss hen came within 10 yards and didn't seem too bothered by us but the boys never came any closer.

lung buster

hocking county
Had one at about 15 Yds but couldn't get the gun swung for a shot. He came in below me on my right side and then behind me. A hen started yelping and pulled him away with her. Great morning. The next couple of days look too be crappy. Probably won't go out again until Thursday.

lung buster

hocking county
Was planning on slipping in a quick hunt this am after work. Figured there was going to be some rain but it is severe as of now. Hoping the severe stuff is gone by daybreak. Gobblers probably are being blew out of trees as I'm typing. I'm off tomorrow and will going all out as it looks to be the only good day for awhile.

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I just got back from 3 days of hunting.....I killed 2 nice toms, 1 on Monday and one today (Wed.) The birds were 21-1/2 and 20lbs-2 oz. beards were 10.5 and 9.5 inches. I will download some pictures later. Tough weather conditions for sure, but somehow managed to kill them.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
I could of tagged out on jakes the last 2 days. I just must sound like jail bait when I call and the long beards are staying away.

lung buster

hocking county
Congrats Gern! I broke down and killed a Jake this am. Been after a group of 3 longbeards this week that have been Roosting together. There have also been 3 Jakes tagging along with them. Yesterday I had all 6 at about 70 yds strutting for about half a hour. This am i set up closer and they came running after fly down. I picked the wrong red head. Never killed a Jake in about 20 yrs of turkey hunting. It is what it is and I got another tag. Will get after it again the first of the week.

huntn2

Hudson, OH
Gern, be sure to post the appropriate pics of your best bird in the harvest thread. Also get a pic of your boy out there with you for your youth bonus points.

lung buster

hocking county
I took my dad along yesterday to where I had been working them birds last week. After several dry years he was finally able to blow the dust out of his 1187. Great hunt and even better getting to spend some time with the old man! Ill never forget the excitement on dads face and in his voice as the bird was coming in. That's what it is all about! We went again this am but never heard the first gobble anywhere. Will be taking a break for a couple of days and will get back after them.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Killed a jake at 6:30 this AM, watched him fly down and he came right to me. Not the long beard I waited for but the hunting was fun.

lung buster

hocking county
Congrats Sam. Never did connect on a long beard. This season was the most productive as any in the last several years. I worked birds almost every time I was out. Had several well within range many times but never got to squeeze one off for one reason or another. Got to watch a lot of strutting, had some gobble so close that it felt like the ground shook, had hens on 2 occasions pick a fight with my decoys, got to spend some quality time with my dad, killed a Jake for the first time, got to take my 6 year old son turkey hunting for the first time and hunted in more rain than any season that I can think of,lol. Many memories made and I can't wait until next spring! It's been fun guys and good luck busting some lung this fall!