Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Team 3

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good luck Ryan and Bigten! Ryan looks like he is going to see substantial snow. Hope that corn pays off with big dividends!

I need to go to the taxi and take pics of my deer measurements. Haven't posted them up yet. We are right there in the running. Not that there is a prize or anything, but another solid buck would put us in the mix of things for sure.

Good luck to you guys hitting it!

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
I'll be back to work tomorrow and Friday so doubt I get back out til this weekend. Cold weather and corn fields should pay off for some too members this weekend. I did get a good buddy his second deer ever this morning. A big doe that had twins. Sucks it was knocked up but made my season to get him another deer. He hunts hard just has no luck.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
One of my buddies shot a small 1.5 year old shed buck Saturday during a drive. It had a busted up foot, probably why it had shed. Honest to god, that was the only deer we moved ourselves from 6 coordinated drives. Fuggin snowmobiler's ran around all our property's on Friday and must of moved all of them. Sunday was different. We moved better than 50 deer ourselves on top of seeing some pushed into some of our properties. I had my niece and her boyfriend with us, and I really tried setting them up to get their first deer. They had plenty of chances, even some nice bucks that I wish I would have had a crack at. But, they missed cleanly on all 4 of their shots. Then at the end of the day, I finally set up on a fencerow for our final push. Before I got to my spot my buddies got too close to the woods and their scent pushed a group of 5 bucks out before we even were set up. 2 were studs, 1 was a nice 8 point and 2 smaller bucks. They woulda been about 40 yards. But, as luck would have it, once I set up, 12 does poured out and stopped broadside at about 10 yards or so and my 209 primer failed to go off. Im guessing it got wet somehow. By the time I swapped out they were gone. So had I actually been there for a shot on the bucks, I would be really torn up right now. But I would of had time to swap out and take a doe. I think I prefer what happened to what could have happened. Got no hunting in after that

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I have the numbers but no pictures of them. Been meaning to get over to the taxidermists for pictures but the snow has kept me more than busy. Maybe Ryan will take it without the pictures for now? Probably wouldn't matter unless it is a tight race. Not like there is a prize, so maybe he will make an exception.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Im heading to my dad's tonight. He is loaning me his Xbow. I have a group of 10 deer hitting a cornfield about 500 yards from my house. 1 is a real nice 8 point. Problem is the wind out of the south kills any type of setup on the corn. My option is to setup a bit to the east along the woods and hope they make their way before dark. Or, setup in the field itself. It does have a few patches of half standing stalks and weeds that I believe I can lay prone in and be concealed enough. I just don't see a way to do it with the compound. This late in the game, any chance at a buck means Im giving myself the best odds.

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
Good luck Ryan I'm gonna hunt tomorrow evening. I've got to work in the morning. Then I'm gonna hit it a little Sunday. Not expecting much but gonna finish up the season on a good note I hope.

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
Well, I didn't make it out after all. I went and got the xbow Friday evening. But my 2 year old woke up vomiting at 4 a.m. Saturday morning and then by 5pm my wife had it. So I was playing daycare all weekend with those 2. My boy wasn't so bad, he was better by Saturday evening for the most part. My wife, however, is a needy, whiny son of a gun when she's sick. I did however take a cruise by there right before dark while the 2 were napping and there were a few does out right where I would have been sitting. Not sure if I woulda taken one

bigten05

*Supporting Member*
knox county ohio
i ended up shooting a doe on my property right on city limits saturday night i saw 30 deer easily and not one had horns. sorry i couldnt connect on a buck for some more points. but i never got one of the big ones in bow range. looking back i should of killed that big 8 i had at 5 yards but he will be a stud if he made it.