Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Foraging Thread

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We have several members that are well-versed in the "goods of the woods" and while I am not one, I do dabble in the foraging sciences from time to time, especially when a couple TOOzers point me in the right direction! Got a text last week saying there were enough ramps to go around, so I took advantage of the offer to pick a few their farm since I would be in the area on my camping trip. Snagged some for dinner and some for transplant. If I am forced to pick a favorite bounty from the land, it would be ramps most days!

20180421_110947.jpg

In route to transplant!

20180421_121348.jpg

The line in the middle are the transplanted ramps from last year that made it. The ones on either side are the latest transplants. Hopefully 10 years from now, these things have spread nicely!

20180421_124249.jpg

Big thanks to the fellow TOOzers that hooked me up! Much appreciated pals! (y)

Buckmaster

Portage
I checked on my transplants yesterday. I planted about 50 clusters about 5-6 years ago in strips so they are easily found by me year after year.

My findings...I'm down to about 30 clusters however they are beginning to spread. I'm guessing they are shedding their annual seeds and finally catching on.

Reactions: giles

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
I never heard of the term “ramp” referring to the wild onions growing in the woods until last week on this sight. This weekend after putting up my blind on the property in Ohio, my neighbor, who is an Ohio native, said “did you see all of the Ramps growing on the hillside”? I said that’s the second time I’ve heard the term ramp this week. He took me to them and dug up a few....they looked very similar to the scallions that my dad used to plant in his garden. Now that I know what they are and where to find them, I’ll be getting some the next time I’m out in Ohio.

Reactions: Fletch