Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

The Moon - What do we know?

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
From what I have heard over the last couple years and I have not been able to verify this or not but, Last 10 days of October =evening movement. First 10 days of November =morning movement. Second 10 days of November =mid day movement. Just like you guys said, fronts will trump anything else.

I will keep a closer eye on it this year and see if it holds true.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
OK, here is what the moon tells me. Tomorrow the moon is directly overhead at 6:10 pm and Friday at 7:07 pm. If the weather is cooperate, I would take off work to hunt those evenings. Those magical evening moon times only come several times a season. I know where I will be.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I saw that. Sadly I will be at a rehearsal dinner for my brother's wedding Friday and the Mrs has to work tomorrow. ugh

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
I'll be hunting the 9th through the 17th with only working one day and that's Monday the 11th. Last year I took the week before off and saw a 135-140 chasing once and bedded in the crp with a doe once, only to get up and chase a spike off and go right back to bed with her. Other than that it was one basket rack. My Buddy took a 130s at the end of that week.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
Best "Moon days" to hunt this year in October and November

Evenings
October 10th and 11th
November 8th, 9th and 24th

Mornings
October 27th ,28th and 29th
November 26th, 27th, 28th and 29th

ABSOLUTE BEST DAYS TO HUNT THIS YEAR (MORNING AND EVENING MOON TIMES DURING SHOOTING HOURS)

October 25th and 26th
November 25th

Of course other factors like weather and hunting pressure play a big role in deer movement as well. This stuff is scary accurate. The closer the moon is directly overhead to sunrise and sunset, the more deadly it becomes. Overhead has stronger results then underfoot, which is primarily what I listed above. During times when moon is overhead or underfoot during midday, hunt close to thickets and other mid day bedding areas. Anyone want to know moontime for a certain date just let me know. If I were planning a vacation, I would honestly plan last week of October.

Last edited:

rgecko23

*Supporting Member*
Massillon, Ohio
So a litle bit of a temperature drop this weekend, and a full moon Sat. Whats the predictions? Weather is changing and it looks like next weekend will be the temperature drop everyone is looking forward to. High of 53 next thursday. It could change of course.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I think the backside of this rain front coming tomorrow would be a great time to be out. Thursday morning would be a great time to sit in a tree. I plan to hunt Friday and/or Sunday evening...

LonewolfNopack

The woods
The moon is only directly overhead during nighttime hours during those days.

The direct underfoot hours are:

Thurs:11:03 am
Fri: 11:51 am
Sat: 12:41 pm
Sun: 1:30 pm

With that being said, I bet the deer will be moving regardless with this front and cool weather coming through. If the front fell in conjunction with prime moon times it would be down right killer.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
So a litle bit of a temperature drop this weekend, and a full moon Sat. Whats the predictions? Weather is changing and it looks like next weekend will be the temperature drop everyone is looking forward to. High of 53 next thursday. It could change of course.

Just looked at the forecast, it looks nice! I hope we are still on 40 hours next week so I have Fri, Sat, and Sun off again!

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I never really understood this moon thing. As I always only hunted the gun season so it was what it was each year. But I can say by hunting on the 12th & 13th.
4 Deer seen at 9:30AM on the 12th and feeding for 30 minutes. One Deer feeding at 6:30PM till 7:30 when I left.
Seen 4 deer feeding at 6:20PM till almost dark when I shot the doe.
So I guess it goes to prove the evening times was spot on.

Boarhead

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I Too believe the moon does play a part in deer movement but honestly i think we should hunt any time that we are able to as i have seen plenty of deer moving when the moon is in all stages and overhead or not.I will say from my experiences that when the moon is full i have seen alot more mid day movement during all day sits as compared to a new moon or other.When i think back to a couple decades before my buddy's and i never gave the moon a second thought and we all seemed to kill nice deer.So i guess just be out there and maybe it will happen that's JMO.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
last week of October should be good. The moon rises and sets st the Same time as the sun on Sunday November the 3rd. I Will this in a tree all day.

matthewusmc8791

NE Ohio
DUH.. these might help.... lol

Very good coverage for most weather data, etc...

November 2008 - Cambridge.jpgNovember 2009 - Cambridge.jpgNovember 2010 - Cambridge.jpgNovember 2011 - Cambridge.jpgNovember 2012 - Cambridge.jpg