Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

This is cool....deer travel

angelzd28

This is sweet. Also goes to show you dont have to go 2 miles deep to get on a good buck. My first thought just looking at the map would be to hit those 3 ox bows to find a mature buck. When is reality he only hit those spots 3 or 4 times, now my guess is he wasnt all that pressured, but interesting video for sure.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Something I will add though. I'm not sure where that buck was tracked but in Ohio there is undoubtedly a lull in October. Maybe not in Ms because our season is different here. Our rut isn't until after Christmas. Point being, October in the south isn't the same as October in the midwest.

Spencie

Constitution Ohio
I honestly think a corn pile on every 15 acres here in south west Ohio has permanently altered natural deer movement and restricted their range. I just don't see deer moving like they use to.
When we had the Athens property I became friends with the major land owners and we shared pics. It was amazing how many of the mature bucks would go from one corn pile to the next to the next every day/night. Sometimes we would get pics 15 minutes apart over a mile away from each other.

LonewolfNopack

The woods
When we had the Athens property I became friends with the major land owners and we shared pics. It was amazing how many of the mature bucks would go from one corn pile to the next to the next every day/night. Sometimes we would get pics 15 minutes apart over a mile away from each other.
I agree. The power of corn is ridiculous. It will be interesting to see how deer react once CWD becomes widespread and baiting becomes illegal.

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
Not just the deer! Very few hunters will have a clue what to do, especially those under 30.

Your correct. But that statement is more about private land hunters mostly. I don’t know of a public place that you can bait for deer.

It will make it harder for myself on my property as it’s not enough acres, no pinch points or feed trees as of yet. If I tried I’d blow it all out. On public I have thousands of acres to hunt in some my options are unlimited (how much I want to walk or drag out).

For the record I put out about 10 sacks of corn the whole year. I’m in the belief of if I have too much food available (corn) my deer don’t have much need to get out of bed to search for food. When I ran auto feeders my sightings was slim to none. I see 50x more deer now that I don’t supplement feed. It’s just my observation, it may be different for others. I have 179 acres of bedding.

Last edited:
I agree with triple deuce. Running an auto feeder years back made my deer sightings go way down in numbers. I haven't fed deer on my property for 8-10 years. Even though the deer herd was decimated during the last decade my numbers of sightings has been much better without the feeder. Then again I have been hunting the best pinch point on my property since 2016. I think the day will come when baiting deer will be illegal. Some may actually find the hunting better without a corn pile or feeder.