Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Thoughts on Drop-Aways (Revisited)

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I was reviewing some of the previous threads about which rest's everyone prefers and why. Ton of good info. Those threads were a couple years old, so I was wondering if everyone still feels the same about their setups? Are there new, great dropaways out there now? I ask because I am dropping off my bow tonight and having new strings and cables put on (Winners Choice). I also was looking at ordering a new rest. I have been shooting a QAD Ultra Pro, but get alot of fletching contact. I'm Leaning towards a LimbDriver. Was wondering about different models and anything else you guys can recomend. I still shoot my Original X-Force at 70lbs, although considering dropping down to 60lbs and shooting a little lighter arrow.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Been running the same rest for 5 years now and no plans to change. Any rest that doesn't require you to press a bow to fix it is a winner. I'm a terrible salesman as I turn everybody that way because it's fool proof essentially.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I switched from a QAD for the reasons you're experiencing. I just couldn't tune the rest to not get fletching contact. Went to a limbdriver after thorough discussions with professor Milo and haven't looked back.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
I'm thinking about selling my QAD after this season and getting a pro v if they are that damn good. Never had any issues with my ultra rest though that I know of.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
I'm thinking about selling my QAD after this season and getting a pro v if they are that damn good. Never had any issues with my ultra rest though that I know of.
Many people don't have any idea until the tune their bow properly. Once you know what to look for it's pretty obvious.

Maxxis31

Deer wood's
I have to say i loved my QAD until i had a damn nice 9 point in front of me last year and let fly, i watched my arrow go one way and my nocturnal knock go the other, i said what the @#$% just happened, well after looking things over the string that attaches to the main bow string pulled out and it never dropped the launcher, what a hell of a racket it made, went back to a whisker buiscuit, no damn mechanical parts to @#$% up, just saying drop away rest are good but can also make ya loose a trophy.

Just 1 More

NAP Carbon Apache, no contact, very tuneable, IMO the best I've used to date.. and I've used a bunch. My old favorite was the Trophy Ridge DropZone, just didn't have the containment (which really never was a problem)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
When tuning your Limb Driver, be sure to reattach it to the limb before firing one off. Whoops... IMG_20170822_204229_609.jpg

rsmith

I found with the lower end QAD the rest would bounce and not lock down causing sparatic arrow flight and bad fletching contact. I upgraded to the QAD HDX and have been using the same rest for the past 3 years now and haven't had a problem with it one bit. My fixed blade broadheads are flying right with my field points and I'm putting 4 arrows, 2 field points and 2 DRT, 2 muzzy trocars, and/or 2 Wac Em 3 blade XL's were all on the sticky note at 65 yards. The lockdown ability of the HDX is very nice, but I am considering selling the HDX and going to a trophy taker smackdown pro or the limbdriver pro V for ease of fixing if I accidentally cut the cord running to the rest on a branch, thorn bush, ext.