Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Garden Thread

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Got 95% of garden turned under, waiting on that last pumpkin to turn and a few more maters turning. Most likely will have it cleaned up by end of the weekend.

Decided to break new ground and doubled the size of the pumpkin patch for next year. Goal is to have a hay wagon and make a few hundred off them. Trying to decide between crimson clover again or cereral/winter rye this year for a cover crop. Leaning towards the rye for a denser stand, easier to no till plant, and cheaper seed cost.

20230925_190514.jpg

All the sunflowers heads are still drying in the barn. May start to remove seeds this weekend or next.

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Got 95% of garden turned under, waiting on that last pumpkin to turn and a few more maters turning. Most likely will have it cleaned up by end of the weekend.

Decided to break new ground and doubled the size of the pumpkin patch for next year. Goal is to have a hay wagon and make a few hundred off them. Trying to decide between crimson clover again or cereral/winter rye this year for a cover crop. Leaning towards the rye for a denser stand, easier to no till plant, and cheaper seed cost.

View attachment 184810

All the sunflowers heads are still drying in the barn. May start to remove seeds this weekend or next.
Use rye and crimson. The legume will help to balance your C:N ratio and reduce nutrient tie up next year. If no tilling into too thick of rye - you’ll be needing to pound it with N to cycle it. Just my 2 cents.

looks good.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Use rye and crimson. The legume will help to balance your C:N ratio and reduce nutrient tie up next year. If no tilling into too thick of rye - you’ll be needing to pound it with N to cycle it. Just my 2 cents.

looks good.

Help a man out, lol!

Screenshot_20231004_154109_Chrome.jpg

I'm doing this mostly for tilth and weed suppression. Both areas gets plenty of supplemental help thru the growing season.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
………..and that’s a wrap. Lol

Probably the last of any red maters from the garden this year. Still have some greens hanging but with temps dropping tonight for a week I think they’re done.
Going out with a bang though…..🤗😜
View attachment 186902
View attachment 186903
You had a banner year for maters this year….you still have some green ones left! I just finished pulling all of my dead and wilting plants today. Going to mulch in some grass clippings then let it rest until Spring.

Reactions: finelyshedded

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I got a lot of stuff done this past week so I can hit the woods again this week. Among some of the things was cleaning up my raised garden beds. Lots of green maters but I had a few ripe maters that are still flavorful and delicious on salads and stuff. I fought,raked,blew,mulched and drug huge tarps full of leaves EVERY DAY! Lol
BTW, Bucktard took a little abuse while I was gone two weeks ago. A lil frisky feller made a scrape and knocked his head off then stood there shaking his head at ole Bucktard like he was saying, “C’mon and put your head back on and I’ll knock it off again!” Lol
Then over the weekend the best buck I’ve seen in a long long time behind our house walked behind BT but didn’t mess with him. My cell cam took a blurry pic of him and one of my back up reg cams with slow trigger speed got little footage as he walked by and out of frame. Here is the blurry pic of cell cam.
IMG_1381.jpeg
IMG_1385.jpeg
IMG_1399.jpeg
IMG_1405.jpeg
IMG_1435.jpeg
IMG_1434.png

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Won't be long now, and the warm weather break sure helped start the itch. Waiting until end of March to get seeds going this year. The rye cover crop came in well on the higher ground in the garden, but has been submerged in the lower corner for a couple weeks after the snow melt. Curious to see how it does when temps pop.

Got the start of compost alley going. Intent is to help with animal waste, give chickens a place to scratch, and ultimately end up in the garden or pumpkin patch to help build soil. Next couple of weekends will be spent on that side of the barn to create a good 60-75' run up against the property line.

20240305_131502.jpg

Last edited: