Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Homesteading

OO2

In the Uplands
My chicks first winter we kept them inside with a light bulb. Then they got bigger and as the weather got warmer they got put outside in a big pen. Now that they are full grown we have just provided them with a structure that keeps them out of the weather to go into during the day with straw. Then they have a seperate roost and laying spot for night that they always go into. We bring the water in at night on cold nights so it doesn't freeze them bring it back out during the day. So far so good!

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
We are off any running. 6 Rhode Island Reds and 6 Australorps. My daughter is tickled to death.

Blan37

SW Ohio
Anyone ever try making their own sauerkraut, pickles, etc., using traditional fermentation? My grandma used to make it in those big open-top ceramic crocks. She'd use a plate and a big rock to hold the kraut down under the brine. There's a lot of health benefits to eating fermented food. Lots of sodium, though, so I have to eat it in small amounts.

This is a good guide I use for sauerkraut: http://learningstore.uwex.edu/assets/pdfs/B2087.pdf. Pretty critical that you don't use iodized salt - the iodine kills the good bacteria. I use kosher salt.

I bought one of these types of crocks about 5 years ago. You fill the rim with water and it makes an airlock. Once the fermentation gets going the oxygen is pushed out of the vessel and keeps mold from growing.
61uAB2PM+tL._SX522_.jpg

I've also done small batches and had really good results in mason jars using airlocks like this:

61r0NwQvjyL._SL1000_.jpg

Blan37

SW Ohio
I have not, but would like to. Rural King has that type of crock for $45 and I may get one. I want to make my own kimchi and kraut.

Damn that's a good price. I've never seen them anywhere that cheap before.

I was going to try doing kimchi at one time but it looks like it's a pain in the ass to make. I just buy it from jungle jim's every couple of years when I get a wild hair.

Cool chicks you have there. I'm in a place where I can't have chickens right now - I'm jealous. Enjoy that time with your daughter; I bet she's in heaven right now.

Buckmaster

Portage
I have my great grandmothers crock, rock, and wooden lid.
It was handed down to my grandmother, then me.
I've made kraut and wine in it thus far.
It's still works after 100+ years.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
So far this year, I've put up 16 quarts and 6 pints of pickles, 4 quarts and 8 pints of hot pepper mustard, and 8 pints and 12 quarts of salsa. Pretty good in that department, so it's time for beans and pasta sauce. Got to freeze some corn too. Lots of goodies floating around the pantry right now!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Good stuff Jesse. No clue what my wife has done so far but she has been canning. Bought some peaches and did them too. All I know is the garden is still producing and she is still canning. No clue how much freezer corn she did but it was a ton.

Jake_C

We are off any running. 6 Rhode Island Reds and 6 Australorps. My daughter is tickled to death.

How are those chickens working out? I just my place last year (only 5 acres) and decided to do a little homesteading myself. I built a 4x6 chicken coop and a pig pen, planted my first garden, stocked the pond with some perch and crappie. The garden did well but I started small, tomatoes, onions, bell peppers and some late cucumbers. I decided to wait til spring on the animals but plan to get 2 pigs and half a dozen chickens.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Well I lost #3 last night, so I have 9 now. Coons have taken all 3. We have a nasty boar coon in our neighborhood that may have killed upwards of a dozen chickens between myself and a few the neighbors.

Our birds started laying eggs a month ago and lay about one egg a day right now. Very pleased with that result.

Jake_C

I helped my buddy with his set up and he had the same thing going on. coons and foxes and even hawks/owls. We put chicken wire across the top of the run and that stopped the other birds but it's just too weak for the coons and bigger predators. eventually we used welded wire fence (2"x4") lined with the chicken mesh and wired together at the seems every 2-3 inches. He ended up losing over a dozen chickens before this and hasn't lost any since. He still lets them out in the daylight and they stay close to home and are eager to get back in the enclosure when the sun starts setting.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've been employing the SSS method of predator control all summer. I let up because the activity stopped. Back to business tonight...

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
An egg per day per bird is great. That is what we were getting. 5-6 eggs a day out of 6 hens. Then my dog killed them. Oops.

From what I hear an egg a day is pretty solid. Not all of them do this.

Lost my eight chickens to coons last fall and have started with another eight. Bought two F&T Dogproof coon traps and placed them by the coop. Have caught seven coons in the last two weeks (they got lead poisoning and the buzzards are happy) and the chickens aren't even in the coop yet. Closed in every hole in the walls, floors, and ceiling and will continue to keep the traps set.

Diablo54

Outside
Good luck! Between catching over 14 coons in the yard this summer and the new coon hunters I haven't had any issues.