Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

TOO Turkey Report '18

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Do you think maybe it’s been by design in the past to let them breed for a few weeks before shooting them? Or is that given credit in the wrong place?

Haven’t heard a gobble in two days, have been hearing them every morning. I think this cold front and wind shut them down.

No doubt in my mind that was the case. I said for years that the ODNR wanted all of the money from turkey hunting but didn't really want people to kill them. From everything that I have seen season always came in about 2 weeks too late. By the Time season came in the birds were henned up so bad it was ridiculous. Most seasons in week three and four you might as well hang it up because they were completely done breeding and out of their frenzy. I always related it to starting opening day of deer season at the peak of lockdown during the rut. Sure you can get some post rutting Behavior but it's pre-rut that you're really after.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
This is 100% how my turkey season works EVERY time I attempt. Been seeing strutters on my main hunting property with regularity. Have also seen them twice this week a few hundred yards from my personal property. This includes today while I was heading out to sight in my new sights. Made a shot. Little high. Made 2 turns to loosen windage screw. Moved sight a tad. Made one turn to tighten screw. On second turn the set screw broke inside the sight. I am once again without my Mossturd Turkey special. I'm not meant to turkey hunt.

Fletch

Supporting Member
This is 100% how my turkey season works EVERY time I attempt. Been seeing strutters on my main hunting property with regularity. Have also seen them twice this week a few hundred yards from my personal property. This includes today while I was heading out to sight in my new sights. Made a shot. Little high. Made 2 turns to loosen windage screw. Moved sight a tad. Made one turn to tighten screw. On second turn the set screw broke inside the sight. I am once again without my Mossturd Turkey special. I'm not meant to turkey hunt.

Take the freaking sights off the gun already... Go try it like a normal shotgun with just a bead... I'm not one for having to have sights on a turkey gun...

Reactions: giles

Fletch

Supporting Member
Looking at the youth harvests. I see no sights on those guns.. Heck some guns not even camoed.. How they getting it done???

Reactions: giles

Isaacorps

Columbus
Looking at the youth harvests. I see no sights on those guns.. Heck some guns not even camoed.. How they getting it done???

I use my 40 year old Ithaca 12 guage full choke barrel shotgun that belonged to my grandpa. Just a bead on the end, no camo, shoots like a dream. Sometimes the latest ain’t the greatest lol

Reactions: giles and Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
I use my 40 year old Ithaca 12 guage full choke barrel shotgun that belonged to my grandpa. Just a bead on the end, no camo, shoots like a dream. Sometimes the latest ain’t the greatest lol

You got that right... And its shooting 2 3/4 inch shell's....

Reactions: Isaacorps

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Dude! Ypu habe the shittiest luck with Turkey hunting. How many times are you going to put junk replacement sights on that gun. There are a ton of aftermarket sights out there buddy.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Roosted two birds tonight that were gobbling their heads off, the set up in the morning will be about as good as you can get, and cameras will be rolling. Saw 3 strutters down the road at 7pm, so there's another option, hopefully we don't need to move in on them.

Good luck TC!

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
Roosted two birds tonight that were gobbling their heads off, the set up in the morning will be about as good as you can get, and cameras will be rolling. Saw 3 strutters down the road at 7pm, so there's another option, hopefully we don't need to move in on them.
Don't wear the camo pants Jesse gave you!!!
Good luck big guy!!!

Reactions: Bigslam51

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Mason and I roosted three public land birds this evening. He screams like a coyote and they hammer back. Ha. Three different spots and I know we left a couple live ones on the farm we hunted this morning. For some reason I think I'm going after one of those public birds. I'm sure I won't be lonely.
Good luck and be safe everyone!

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dude! Ypu habe the shittiest luck with Turkey hunting. How many times are you going to put junk replacement sights on that gun. There are a ton of aftermarket sights out there buddy.

You aren't a kidding! Sadly, I had ditched the Mossturd sights. These were TrugloMagnum Pro Series Dot Gobbler sights. Shot them. Went to adjust height. Set screw broke. I really don't have great luck. Guess I'll be pulling the OU out again if Truglo doesn't offer a quick solution.