Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Topo maps

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
I was bored at work today so i looked at a few on my phone. I was confused as can be trying to understand them. So any tips would be appreciated. Thanks everyone

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
USGS maps will have 20' contours. The dark lines are your primary elevations (i.e. 800' - 900' - 1,000'). As Dick stated, closer the lines, steeper the ground; further apart, the flatter it is. Green areas will have been timbered at the time of map creation. White will indicate open areas. The map key will also have a host of other things identified.

I'm the son of a surveyor and have been navigating in the woods via a topo for 25 years. Made my living for a while working off one frequently as well. To me, they make more sense than an aerial when it comes to hunting. At least here in Appalachia...

nathan.luthman

Supporting Member
Thanks for the info... was looking at dillon st park actually. Is it really that flat down there.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
If you haven't done so, download the app PDF Maps. Fantastic free tool...

uploadfromtaptalk1473381830930.jpg

CJD3

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NE Ohio
When I first started to look at them, I found looking at a topo map of an area I knew well made it easier to associate what the map was representing.
After that, reading them was easier...

Jake_C

I've put a lot of time into learning to read and use topo maps and aerial photos to my advantage. They can definitely save you a lot of time and miles. I walked more or less every inch of the wildlife area that i live next to and noted where i saw most deer sign. After a lot of research and learning what to look for on maps then looking over the maps and finding the saddles on steep ridges, points, ridge line intersections, benches. most of the sign I saw with my own eyes using boots on the ground did match up to where I would have picked to scout using the maps. Some places and terrain features are just too subtle to show up on the maps, though. The only way you will find those is with boots on the ground. Learning to identify small benches using a topo is probably the best thing i've picked up from it. Those benches and the 1/3 down from the top elevation on the leeward side of a ridge seemed to be where I found by far the most buck sign.

Take all that with a grain of salt, though. I just started learning this stuff this year, I've never killed a buck and the season isn't here yet. So, I haven't been able to put it to the test yet.

quackaholic

A good resource for learning how to use them as related to scouting is, "Mapping Trophy Bucks", by Brad Herndon. I re-read it at least every couple of years. Also pick up an essential guide to using a map and compass.