Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Tough Round Steak

Schu72

Streetsboro
I know we have some avid cooks on here and out of no where I'm struggling with my venison steak. The last several times they have been very tough and chewy to the point where the kids are starting to lose interest. I'm not sure why all of a sudden they continually are so tough. Temp wise they seem fine, definitely not over cooking but man my jaw is tired. Depending on thickness they are on the grill 5-6 minutes per side at 450-500 degrees. Usually rubbed, sometimes marinated. Again there is definite pink and a plate full of drippings, but chewwwy. Help.

xbowguy

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Licking Co. Ohio
Joy tenderizes them with tenderizer and a mallet first. Then marinate, cook 2/3 through (Grill or Pan) then put in the oven at 350 for 30-45 minutes.
I have also ran them through the cuber a couple/3 times before marinate also.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
Salt....either through a rub or marinade. Pounding also helps but the biggest issue is usually temp. Cook until 125 and let it rest 5 minutes covered. Should reach 135 ish.

Venison steaks get tough fast after 145ish.

Blan37

SW Ohio
I use an app on my phone called 'steak timer.' 5-6 minutes per side is a long time based on the timer I use, but it also depends on how thick your steaks are.

It could be my imagination, but it seems like venison gets done a lot quicker than beef steaks too.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I use an app on my phone called 'steak timer.' 5-6 minutes per side is a long time based on the timer I use, but it also depends on how thick your steaks are.

It could be my imagination, but it seems like venison gets done a lot quicker than beef steaks too.

They do.... If cooked at the same temps.....

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Salt....either through a rub or marinade. Pounding also helps but the biggest issue is usually temp. Cook until 125 and let it rest 5 minutes covered. Should reach 135 ish.

This. My guess is you are over cooking them.

Schu72

Streetsboro

Today's I would have considered more rare than medium rare. What temp do you grill at?

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I use a technique called a reverse sear. I have a cool section in my grill that is about 275-300 and steaks (1 inch thick) go there for about 10 minutes in the hickory smoke (109ish temp in the center). Then I sear over a super hot section running 475-500 for 60 seconds a side. Usually ends around 135. I would pull back a bit to 130 with venison.

Jamie

Ohio
I grilled some round steaks last night. I cut my rounds into steaks about 3/4" thick. I pat them dry, season with salt, seasoned pepper and a light sprinkle of granulated garlic, allow steaks to come up to room temperature, sear them on a very hot grill surface that is 600+ degrees for about 2 minutes a side, cover and allow to rest for about 5 minutes. never chewy, never dry, cooked rare to medium rare with nice grill marks. I know my grill well enough that I don't bother taking the temperature of boneless venison steaks to gauge their doneness any longer.

Jamie

Ohio
and if you don't have the means or desire to sear them, you could use a jaccard to tenderize them. meat mallets are good for pounding them out thin for chicken fried steak (which is a great way to cook round steaks), but a little less than desirable for grilling, in my experience.

Buckmaster

Portage
allow steaks to come up to room temperature, sear them on a very hot grill surface that is 600+ degrees for about 2 minutes a side, cover and allow to rest for about 5 minutes.

That's what I do. In most cases they come out edible and seldom tough (for deer meat).

Get a beef chuck eye steak and it gets even better.