Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trail Cameras ?

Dew Boyz

I am new to the site and was wondering what cameras you used and why ?

We run the DLC Coverts and have really had great success with them. We even got the chance to stop in at the ATA show and talk to them. We pretty much talked deer hunting but did go over their new line up of cameras and such.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I have three BuckEye Cams stand alones and four SpyPoint IR-6s. The BECs are the Cadillac of cameras and nothing compares. I use them as inventory cams, which allows them to shine. They'll take 2K pictures a week in the most brutal conditions without blinking an eye. The SpyPoints have made a great scouting camera and have sold me on the video mode. I use them to get an idea on what is traveling where. So far, I'm pretty happy with their performance...

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
I mostly run Moultrie cams. They seem to do well under most circumstances and for the price they suit me just fine.

Boone

*Supporting Member*
N.E. O-H-I-O
I have a bunch of Moultrie cameras as well, for the same reasons as Gern. I have two of the new m80's and they run on double a's, which I have plenty of as the kids go through them in the Wii and oterh toys pretty fast. I started an m80 camera before the season on lithiums and it still reads 95% battery life! They're good enough for my purposes.

DJK Frank 16

Supporting Member
Hardin County
I think it is tough to beat a Cuddeback Capture for trigger speed, I have ran 2 or 3 of those in the past. Also purchased an Spypoint IR6 this year and am very pleased with the video clips it takes.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
My biggest bitch about the Moultries are the LCD displays eventually take a shit on you. You'll start losing a letter or number here and there then it quickly goes to words then to nothing. Ron and I are very down on moultrie right now.

A Cheap moultrie for mineral licks or baiting..Anywhere a fast trigger isnt needed..An a Tasco for quick trigger work..The moultrie I have has more set-up options an features..An the pics are a tad better but it cant compete at all on trigger speed..The moultrie D50 5megapix flash has seemed to be about 3 to 4 seconds for the first trigger(It has a sleep mode). Then every trigger after that was fairly fast(around 1 sec). The one minute delay between pics is a pain in the back side Which SUCKS!.I feel the sleep mode REALLY hold this cams full potential back.The flash range seems to be about 50+ feet..My Tasco 3 mega pixel flash is actually a old bushnell 119203..Trigger speed is FAST for a cheap cam around 1 sec every time day or night an NO sleep mode..30sec delay between pics is nice an way better then the moultrie 1min delay..It does lack features..There is no aiming mode when setting it up like the moultrie.You basically just have to take pics an check in the field to make sure you got a good aimed set up.It has no batt life indicator..Its very picky on how you put the batteries in..The red LED light ups when it takes a pic(camo duct taped it)..And im thinking the tasco might be a little weak on flash power.. Why did I choose these cams??Well I didnt really.The wife got the moultrie for like 59$ a year ago as a gift for me..An I trade a tru ball tornado release to my buddy for a new in box Tasco(50$ at walmart)..If choosing another cam i would/am looking at primos an Wild game innovation.