Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trying out Climbers

Is there anywhere in Ohio that you can go and try out limbers before you buy?

Just as a general thought that to me immediately screams liability for the distributor and I would be hard pressed to say you would find someone, but with that being said your best bet is going to be small "mom/pap" archery shops as you may be able to convince an owner to let you go out back and try one.

My suggestion would be if you have friends/family that hunt try their climbers it will give you a general understanding of what you like. Reality is there are a few distinct designs for climbers other than that you are just buying for manufacturer, etc... (I personally have to have one with railing although I really like the Lone Wolf models that are produced without).

You might get lucky on here if you can find a few local guys maybe someone will let you try theirs and if you demo a few members you would maybe get a compilation of different options.

Mao

Coshocton, OH
I use a Summit Open Shot. I probably hunt out of it 90% of the time. It is lighter than my loaded backpack that I take on stand with me. I can pretty much go anywhere with it without getting worn out or sweaty. Climbing with it is a little sketchy, but I take my time and am careful.

loose_is_fast

McClure
I have a summit viper and summit Titan. The vipers is used way less. I am 5ft 9 and 175. I am by no means big but....... I find it a hell of a lot easier to climb with the bigger Titan.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I have a Lone Wolf sit and climb I couldn't be without , its light , quiet , climbs easy , and easily adjustable while climbing. I put a hazmore seat on it a few yrs ago and that was a nice addition.
Just get a Lone Wolf or XOP .

themedic

OHIO
I've got a LW hand climber and love it. Many people complain they are not comfortable but I think it's all about getting the seat set at the correct hight. It's light, fast, stable, quiet and climbs fast.

Risner11

Thanks for all the replies guys. I have an older Summit and like it but it doesn't have the rail that i can sit on when climbing to get a good bite into the tree. I like the way the Summit Razor SD is setup and want to try it and the lone wolf.

Diablo54

Outside
I have been looking at a new climber and was wondering if you wouldn't mind providing a little review of what you find best about the lone wolf (do you use a sit and climb) also what material are the bands that go around the tree made of ?

Yes I have a sit and climb. The bands are a hard rubber with steel inside of the rubber. Everything about the lone wolf is better than any other climber on the market. It's lighter, faster and quieter than all the others. I have a simple method on how to carry it in and out of the woods. No straps required. Dead silent. The biggest downfall of it is that it will make you cocky with its ease of use. I have put myself in too many hairy situations because I had to climb a certain tree. You can't go wrong with a sit n climb. If you don't like it I'll buy it from you. Lol

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
A lone wolf will definitely let you hunt trees other climbers wouldn't be able to climb . Being able to loosen or tighten the band as the tree narrows or you encounter a knot or broken limb is one of the best features to me . Definitely get the sit and climb if you get one .
XOP should be very similar since the previous owner of Lone wolf now owns XOP .

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Everyone likes something different I guess. I had a Lone Wolf that I couldn't get rid of quick enough. The friend I sold it to is very fit, wiry little guy. He hated that thing as much as I did and sold it asap as well. To me, it was dangerous, not stable at all, and uncomfortable as anything I've ever been in. POS, IMO.

Outwaynewv

I have a lw hand climber. I like it but I am 6' 295#. It is a solid stand and quiet as can be. For a guy my size I am like a fat ninja lol. It is not the easiest to climb with compared to the summit hand climber that had a sling style seat I had before.. Several of my more fit buddies use lw hand climber and agree summit is easier to climb with but we all agree that summit are not near as quite. I am planning on trying a wide lw sit and climb top or xop. The flat packing is a awesome advantage to lw. The reason I want to try the sit and climb is the hand climber seat is like a fixed stand seat that won't raise up out of the way. So it makes it hard to lean flat against tree to somewhat hide from the deer which is necessary where I hunt in the hilly terrain of southern ohio and south western wv. Because here it is nearly impossible to get higher than at least one trail.

Ohioal

Get a summit I can sit literally all day in mine and not feel fatiged from sitting in a stand like others I have sat in