Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Trying to help someone buy a bow

Gordo

Athens County
I truly don't know shit about bow technology. My idea of success is to buy a bow on AT, have it sent direct to Milo,and have it mailed back good to go,

I try to tell my buddies to go to a shop and shoot'em all, but none of them get it. I can't say I've done that EVER, but it just makes sense.

I'll be back in the market soon and will try to due it the right way

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Don't sweat it, Gordo. Whatever your buddy gets will feel right if they shoot it enough. All others will feel "weird".

I've been shooting bows a long time and there is one constant. Every bow I ever bought felt smoother, faster...better, than the last one. I explained this to my minime when he was hammering me about getting a Halon. I explained a million times that the old trusty Switchback he was shooting was more bow than he needed. I'll never forget look on his face after he shot the Halon for the first time. It was priceless, not because of how great the bow was, but because he realized the irony after shooting and saying, "Its so smooth".... Yeah.
The real irony is that I have set up that old switchback for my own use in recent weeks. New strings. Long stabilizer, back bar, and a 6x scope. The "antique" has now replaced the great Halon... he doesn't even want to shoot that fancy new "smooth" bow... he wants to shoot the old switchback...the same bow he made fun of me for shooting! I have a sinking feeling I'll be shooting "trad" at most 3D shoots this year as my spoiled brat will be taking over my target bow.
Old guys know stuff.
There are a bunch of pages on FB now for buying and selling archery gear at reasonable cost. I have no idea why anyone would buy a new bow when there are so many good ones to be had for half the original cost. Same with the ridiculously priced accessories.

Jamie

Ohio
Lol, I don't understand why anyone would buy a bow at all when you can make them yourself. to hell with technology! :smiley_coolpeace:

Gordo

Athens County
Don't sweat it, Gordo. Whatever your buddy gets will feel right if they shoot it enough. All others will feel "weird".

I've been shooting bows a long time and there is one constant. Every bow I ever bought felt smoother, faster...better, than the last one. I explained this to my minime when he was hammering me about getting a Halon. I explained a million times that the old trusty Switchback he was shooting was more bow than he needed. I'll never forget look on his face after he shot the Halon for the first time. It was priceless, not because of how great the bow was, but because he realized the irony after shooting and saying, "Its so smooth".... Yeah.
The real irony is that I have set up that old switchback for my own use in recent weeks. New strings. Long stabilizer, back bar, and a 6x scope. The "antique" has now replaced the great Halon... he doesn't even want to shoot that fancy new "smooth" bow... he wants to shoot the old switchback...the same bow he made fun of me for shooting! I have a sinking feeling I'll be shooting "trad" at most 3D shoots this year as my spoiled brat will be taking over my target bow.
Old guys know stuff.
There are a bunch of pages on FB now for buying and selling archery gear at reasonable cost. I have no idea why anyone would buy a new bow when there are so many good ones to be had for half the original cost. Same with the ridiculously priced accessories.

Can't agree with you more about never buying a brand new bow again. Unless it's back stock from a dealer and a couple years old, it doesn't make sense

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Lol, I don't understand why anyone would buy a bow at all when you can make them yourself. to hell with technology! :smiley_coolpeace:

I can't find a place to screw the scope onto those old school bows.

:)

Jamie

Ohio
that's because you supposed to put scope on your rifle, not yer bow. Duh.

Gordo, is this helping you at all? rotflmao

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Craigslist is full of used bows. I sold a boat yesterday and was on CL deleting the post so I looked around. Lots of good bows at a fraction of original cost.

Gordo

Athens County
Craigslist is full of used bows. I sold a boat yesterday and was on CL deleting the post so I looked around. Lots of good bows at a fraction of original cost.

My buddy is on his way to pick up a switchback and an outback. You prob came across those.

F'n guy buys 3 bows in two days. [emoji23]