Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Turkey habits

Asa.garand

I have this group of turkeys, best I can tell is 3 or 4 toms, a couple jakes and 8 or so hens using my unharvested bean field most afternoons. What are the odds this group will break up and also what are the odds they will use this field to strut in?
IMG_1549.JPG
IMG_1548.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
There will definitely be activity there or near by as long as cover is conducive for hens to nest. I would guess your odds are damn good on the edges of that place come opener. Those type of properties are my favorites. They allow for you to conceal yourself and see a lot from a distance, and its a great opportunity for you to learn their behaviors. Good luck.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Keep an eye on those hens. From my experience they usually travel the same way every morning. Where there's hens you'll find the gobblers. And with them being in that bean field every day it looks like you have a pretty good chance. Are they there in the mornings at all, where are they roosting, and how far are they roosting from that field?

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
They'll break up some , but there will still be some there . Just keep a eye on them bit don't pester them. Watch em the week before the season to see where they are entering the field and where they set up to strut . Birds here are still pretty flocked up and they are gonna break up and disperse alot before season still .
They are really predicable till one of them gets shot in the face .

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
A shot to the face has a way of changing your behavior! 😂

I'd say that field will make a mighty fine place to hang out during the season. Course with a month to go yet, a lot will change. Good luck keeping tabs on them.

Asa.garand

Thanks all. I don't get a chance to watch it most mornings so I set a camera out. I shot a Jake there last year that was hanging out in a group of 12 or so other jakes the last weekend of the season. First time seeing mature birds or hens here.