Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ohio Turkeys - Spring 24

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I tagged along with a young lady this morning. She’s been having a rough season. Hadn’t seen a bird. Windy conditions and we heard nothing on the roost. Settled into a good hiding spot and set out some decoys. Started calling. Heard a bird finally. Two longbeards came in, put on a great show, and she knocked one flat. Her gun jammed! The flopping bird got on his feet and got away! I took the drone over after our ground search but never did find him. I can’t believe she rolled him over only to watch him run off!
She is going back out in the morning. If she doesn’t fill her tag we will give it a go again Monday or Tuesday. I’m heading to Kentucky in the morning for a quick hunt.

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
I tagged along with a young lady this morning. She’s been having a rough season. Hadn’t seen a bird. Windy conditions and we heard nothing on the roost. Settled into a good hiding spot and set out some decoys. Started calling. Heard a bird finally. Two longbeards came in, put on a great show, and she knocked one flat. Her gun jammed! The flopping bird got on his feet and got away! I took the drone over after our ground search but never did find him. I can’t believe she rolled him over only to watch him run off!
She is going back out in the morning. If she doesn’t fill her tag we will give it a go again Monday or Tuesday. I’m heading to Kentucky in the morning for a quick hunt.
Mad respect for you helping others trying to tag out on your property especially youngins. That's just , well awesome no other way to put it. Thank you for doing what you do man!

WoodCoDep

BARTLETT, OH
Had a good time this morning. Been working a shut down at my plant last two weeks so only made it out couple hours since the opener. Found a hot bird by himself in a fairly normal spot for them to roost. Made two moves on him over a 15 minute period. A few soft calls and leaf scratching and he came gobbling and strutting. I tried to coax him in closer and he got spooky after not seeing a hen. Folded him at 45yds.
20240427_080620.jpg

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Had a good time this morning. Been working a shut down at my plant last two weeks so only made it out couple hours since the opener. Found a hot bird by himself in a fairly normal spot for them to roost. Made two moves on him over a 15 minute period. A few soft calls and leaf scratching and he came gobbling and strutting. I tried to coax him in closer and he got spooky after not seeing a hen. Folded him at 45yds. View attachment 193863
Heck yeah congrats!!!!

Reactions: WoodCoDep

ThatBuckeyeGuy

Ohio
Welp had a chance an blew it by being patient...that doesnt happen very often. Anyhow finally had the Tom that's been cooped up with hens the last two weeks come within 35 yards. Was coming straight down the path to my decoy instead of swinging the gun over I opted to wait until he crossed in my guns sights ... only needed to go less than 10 yards but when he seen my decoy he froze and dipped behind some trees and hopped into the field behind the brush line and stayed there at 60 yards gobbling his head off for another half hour. The Jake that followed him in played the cards perfect and went and hung out with my decoy the whole time I should've just shot the dang Jake and called it a season. Left the woods early and decided to work on stuff at home

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I hunted Kentucky today with a good friend. We covered an immense amount of ground on a very high ridge system. We never heard a bird. Mason and his pal hunted a different WMA and were in ‘em all day long but never got a shot.
For anyone interested in watching, here is the video Mason just released of his opening day Kentucky bird.