Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What brand and size broadhead is best?

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Going to take my daughters out hunting some this year for the first time. They'll be practicing and hunting with my FIL's Horton Xbow. I'll buying some arrows and broadheads for them to shoot. What broadhead do you guys hunt with? How long of fletches? What brand of arrow?

Thanks guys!

Ricer2231

Easton Axis with 2"Blazers and 100g. Muzzy DX-3s. A killing combination. With the combination of the weight of the Axis and the bonecrusher point of the Muzzy it would make for a good combo for a less experienced hunter TOO, just in case they would get the shoulder blade. Please don't take that the wrong way, not to take anything from your daughters shooting ability, just that they haven't done a lot of hunting. Just my .02.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
Riser, are you using 2" vanes on crossbow arrows?
I'm using Beman ICS (4" vane) Thunderbolts with 100 gn slicktrick magnums.

Last edited:
I've had the best groupings with carbon express 20" bolts with 4" vanes and half moon nocks. The head i use is the older 1" cutting diameter four bladed 100 grain Muzzys. I'm shooting an old Horton SuperMag that is quite slow compared to todays crossbows though. Thunderheads were the worst performers for accuracy. I've never lost a deer with the four bladed muzzys, but I'm a stickler for close range shots. Every deer I've ever shot at was under 20 yards.

Gordo

Athens County
I could never get a fixed head to Group well out of my dads ten point. Prob the arrow im sure. He's shooting the nap mechanical head(bloodrunner maybe? Cant remember name), and its done great.

aholdren

Supporting Member
South East Ohio
When I used my Excalibur I shot Muzzy 125gr. I shot 2 bucks with it and watched them fall from my tree. Not real sure what the best is today cause that was 9yrs ago.

Ric, I still have a couple 125gr Muzzys that just need new blades but your welcome to them. Their good enough to shoot into a target to see if you like how they fly. PM me if you want them and I'll send them your way.

Last edited:

Dannmann801

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Springboro
I've had the best groupings with carbon express 20" bolts with 4" vanes and half moon nocks. The head i use is the older 1" cutting diameter four bladed 100 grain Muzzys. I'm shooting an old Horton SuperMag that is quite slow compared to todays crossbows though. Thunderheads were the worst performers for accuracy. I've never lost a deer with the four bladed muzzys, but I'm a stickler for close range shots. Every deer I've ever shot at was under 20 yards.

What he said is good; but substitute 100 gr Slick Tricks and it's better.

cotty16

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
My boys have always shot Easton Power Bolts with 4" vanes with crescent nocks. I've had them shoot both, Spitfire Expandables and ST Magnums. I think they both fly very close. However, both kill shots were with the Spitfires. Kody killed his buck 2 years ago at 60 yards with the Spitfire and Klay at 30 last year. Both bucks didn't go far at all and Kody's dropped in sight.

The only time Kody shot at a live target with the ST's he shoulder bladed a buck, but I'm sure it was his error. At a target they fly good.

With all that said, most of the reading I've done says expandables are better out of a crossbow. Not saying they are because I love ST's, but that's what some say.

Last edited:

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
First off, thanks to everyone for the input! A big thanks to Aaron for the muzzy delivery offer but I've got some brand new 100 grain Muzzys from last years purchase and will check them out. I was wondering how the fixed shot out of the xbow verses the mechanicals but will prolly buy a pack of slicks just to see what they do. I'm very interested in trying the heads Tiny did a review on, think they were the Thunderhead razors but will go back and check first.

Thanks again y'all!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
First off, thanks to everyone for the input! A big thanks to Aaron for the muzzy delivery offer but I've got some brand new 100 grain Muzzys from last years purchase and will check them out. I was wondering how the fixed shot out of the xbow verses the mechanicals but will prolly buy a pack of slicks just to see what they do. I'm very interested in trying the heads Tiny did a review on, think they were the Thunderhead razors but will go back and check first.

Thanks again y'all!

They will fly like a dart. As you know, a xbow is the same as a vertical bow turned sideways. They can, and do get out of time, unless it's an Excalibur. That can cause some flight problems, but you know how to straighten that up. I remember in the late 80's fooling with dad's old Foxfire II to get it to shoot broadheads. It took a couple hours, but I'm pretty sure we could have shot a garden shovel out of that thing and it would have flown like a dart. The 100 grain, 3 blade muzzy is the easiest fixed blade I've ever fooled with. My bet is, if that Horton is even close to being tuned, they will impact exactly as your field points.

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
We have always shot the regular old Horton shafts out of Mason's crossbow. They are fletched with 5" vanes. Tipped 'em with Muzzy, 100 gr, 3 blade, and as you know, they work pretty well.

Attachments

• Canaan-20121019-00437.jpg
    Canaan-20121019-00437.jpg
    267.3 KB · Views: 343

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Thanks for the info Brock! I prolly should get some arrows as well. He doesn't like to spend money and his arrows are very dated. What do y'all recommend on those?

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Carbon is hard to beat, if they were put together properly. I like aluminum for the sole reason I can tune 'em to shoot any head. If they are straight, you can melt the glue holding the insert and turn it until it's even on all sides. This little trick will make most any fixed head fly straight. You can't do that with factory made carbons, so if youre going with pre-made, go aluminum.