Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What release are you guys using?

I use a Scott Silverhorn for most of my hunting. http://www.scottarchery.com/archery-releases/string-loop-releases-silverhorn.php. I used to hunt with a Stan Shootoff Quattro but a lost it bear hunting in Aug 2011. So when I purchased my second shootoff I decided to only use it for target/3d archery.

I have a few preferences for releases. I prefer hand held thumb releases over wrist releases. If I shoot with wrist release it must have a string loop hook style caliper, like the Scott silverhorn. After shooting a hand held release for so long I really dislike having to open and close the caliper prior to a shot or a shot that didnt quite pan out. With a hand held you can just leave it on the d-loop or with a string loop hook you move your hand away. The whole process is simpler for me because I never have to touch the trigger. I also do not like dual caliper head releases because I've have issues with the jaws not closing completely after extensive use. Single jaw caliper releases are better other than the whole open close process prior to the shot. I really hate releases were the jaws are spring loaded to the closed position like tru-ball and other releases. If you do not hold the trigger back after firing the jaws will snap closed making a loud noise. I had a Tru-Ball Diamond Pro Extreme that if you forgot to hold the jaws open it made a noise that was louder than the bow. Other than that the diamond was a good release even if it did have dual jaws.
These are just the preferences I've developed after years of shooting.

Last edited:

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I shoot a Stanislawski Shoot-Off Quattro... thumb-trigger (AKA handle release). I prefer a handle over the wrist-strap releases, pretty much for all the reasons that Tom mentioned above.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Stan Shootoff Trio.

Nice release and only complaint is it is a little loud on release but have not had any issues with deer jumping the shot. It might have an issue if it was a longer distance shot in the 40+ yard range but 20 and less have had no issues.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I shoot a Stanislawski Shoot-Off Quattro... thumb-trigger (AKA handle release). I prefer a handle over the wrist-strap releases, pretty much for all the reasons that Tom mentioned above.

Same here. Wrist strap releases are thing of the past for me. I have one just for a back up, but I hate shooting with it...

themedic

OHIO
I have been using a Tru Ball Chapy Boss three finger for a couple years. I prefer a "t handle" because when I hunt, I lock it on my D loop and forget about it. Then my hands are free for using bino's and calling. Also, when a deer is coming in I can just grab my bow and shoot without looking down to clip my release on the string. My release looks a lot like this one I snagged off the web:

Redhunter1012

Supporting Member
I have been using a Tru Ball Chapy Boss three finger for a couple years. I prefer a "t handle" because when I hunt, I lock it on my D loop and forget about it. Then my hands are free for using bino's and calling. Also, when a deer is coming in I can just grab my bow and shoot without looking down to clip my release on the string. My release looks a lot like this one I snagged off the web:

So this is a thumb triggered release? I currently use the Itty Bitty goose but always was interested in one of these styles just so I could clip it on and have free hands. I have in the past few years "clinked" my release on stuff in tree and caught deer"s attention

themedic

OHIO
redhunter- yes....thumb trigger that is supposed to be squeezed with a back tension style/form of shooting. But I just trigger punch it like any old bowhunter:)

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
redhunter- yes....thumb trigger that is supposed to be squeezed with a back tension style/form of shooting. But I just trigger punch it like any old bowhunter:)

That is why I like the four finger release. I use my pinkie to roll the release in to the joint on my thumb causing it to fire. It takes a the punch out of it for me. When I shoot the three finger styles, I want to punch pretty bad. Here is the one me, Jager and Fluteman shoot...

B66F482F-C433-4725-B9EC-D74E4E24972D-8906-00000DB24FA5ECB5.jpg

That is why I like the four finger release. I use my pinkie to roll the release in to the joint on my thumb causing it to fire. It takes a the punch out of it for me. When I shoot the three finger styles, I want to punch pretty bad. Here is the one me, Jager and Fluteman shoot...

View attachment 13169

Just in case anyone wanted to see a youtube example of someone shooting a Stan Shootoff Quattro. [video=youtube;fcNKge9sW9k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcNKge9sW9k[/video]

Last edited:

themedic

OHIO
yeah right Jesse! you punch the trigger like the rest of us. :pickle:

and Archerti......we all know your not watchuing that release on the video:smiley_crocodile:

ImpalaSSpeed96

NJ
I've been shooting a Fletcher shorty for 16 years now. I tried two different style thumb releases two years ago and couldn't stand them. Took one back and kept the other in my bag as a back up in case I ever forget my release somehow....

I use Hot Shot and Carter Wrist strap release's..I have used various styles and brands and for the most part they all make some good ones(and bad ones ),but these work for me...Been messing around with a Hot shot Infinity and I am looking to try another carter for fun..Possibly a wrist strap style Tension release model:smiley_chinrub:..