Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your favorite "bang flop" coyote caliber?

Anything 6mm/.24 caliber or larger will drop a coyote pretty fast. I had a tikka m695 deluxe 6.5x55 for a little while that was very accurite and was a pretty rifle. However i hated the two button safey so it found a new home.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yes but even so, a 20-grain bullet just isn't going to get it done at that kind of range. Unless it's a perfect shot.
Agreed. And the good old .223 at double the weight only has 6 more inches of drop compared to the 17 rem fireball at 400 yards with a 200 yard zero.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I still have that Savage 6.5 creedmoor. Haven't listed it on GB yet. Too busy. Bang, flop but it can reach out to a mile if need be.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I always thought a sub 22 caliber rifle belonged to someone else and not me. I guy who went to SD and WY tried a .17 Rem rifle out there in the wind and never hit one PD out of the 100's of round shot.

I just picked up my coyote killing machine! :smiley_bril:
I gotta get some reloads put together, get to the range and break her in on a few coyote kills. No more wounding losses for this man! :smiley_dead:
Edit: Marlin 1895 Cowboy in 45-70 with a 26" octagon barrel.

I'm sure this rifle will see some deer hunting action, this year.
Marlin 1.jpg
Marlin 2.jpg
Marlin 3.jpg

Last edited:

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
The nice thing about this rifle is: Not only will it be plenty of power to kill a coyote, it will take down ANY North American game along with about anything else you'd want to kill. lmao

GoetsTalon

Supporting Member
Walbridge oh
Come on Frank hundreds of rounds and never hit one? Lmao. Sounds like shooter error to me. I've had ground hogs crawl to there holes after solid hits from a 22-250 but never lost any shot with the .17 out past 300 yards. A 25 grain Berger traveling at over 4000fps isn't in the air long enough to have the wind fuck with it at reasonable distance.

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Come on Frank hundreds of rounds and never hit one? Lmao. Sounds like shooter error to me. I've had ground hogs crawl to there holes after solid hits from a 22-250 but never lost any shot with the .17 out past 300 yards. A 25 grain Berger traveling at over 4000fps isn't in the air long enough to have the wind fuck with it at reasonable distance.

When is the last time you shot at 1/10th size ground hogs in 30-40 MPH winds at long range? PD's are about the size of squirrels. Where we hunted most of the time there wasn't any trees to deflect the wind. We've had wind blowing so damn hard while our week of shooting that I had to disconnect my security alarm on my van as the wind shock it so bad it was setting the alarm off.
The 17 caliber rifles sucked there.