Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

What's your favorite hunting method?

Gern186

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
NW Ohio Tundra
You need one of those push button type calls......it only takes one finger to operate and they will bring the gobbler in close for the shot.

rrr

Have you ever heard of a mouth call, or has that technology not made it down to West Virginia yet?

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
lmao...Ernie..You didnt just say that?..Did you just mention the word "Mouth Call"??

Holy chit ..boy..thats some funny stuff right there...you should be tarred and feathered.....lmao

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Ernie,,

Mouth calls are a No No on publiclands..well..thats at least what ive learned over the years...Seems everybody is useing them and the birds become call shy.

Last edited:

rrr

Are you trying to tell me that the birds get call shy? Or mouth call shy?

And are you saying that mouth calls put you at a greater risk for a hunting accident? Seems to me like the guy who taught me how to mouth call knows a think or two about turkey hunting safety, seeing as how he has written a book on it, wrote the 10 safety tips for turk hunters in the ODNR reg book...and still carries 17 pellets from another hunter's gun - and he taught me how to box call, slate call, mouth call...just not to use a gobbler tube during season!

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Nope..Not sayin that..Im simply just saying that Mouth calls are the preferred choice by most hunters..Seems the birds on pressured publiclands clam up to mouth calls..They will Gobble but they dont seem to budge..They hold their ground or go the other way..When they do that crap..i know they have been messed with...So..What i have done is created a different rythem with my box calls..A rythem that very few if any hunters can duplicate..and what that means is..a slight increase in success.

If you can duplicate the rythem on my video..You will just about kill a bird everytime you enter the woods..of course..there are exceptions:smiley_bril:

rrr

So what you do is something special to attract public land birds? And a turkey knows the difference between calls from a mouth call and a slate or box?

rrr

And is it fair to say that with practice you could do that rythem with a mouth call?

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Yes..I would say that it could be done but i cant doit..I sound horrible and my rythem on the mouth call cant match the Box call.

rrr

Maybe if you practice enough, you can get it down and then you wouldn't have the problem of motion with the box call. Jus saying

Mountaineer

Banned
WV
Cant..My teeth break apart..and no funny jokes ... lol

anyhows..Here's a missouri hen i filmed years ago..Listen to her rythem..How the heck ya gonna reproduce that rythem on a mouth call? :smiley_bril:

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
I like to stand in the dark and wait for em to fire off then move in and setup. If I am lucky then I might get out the night before and try to roost a bird. If I don't hear a bird gobbling I keep moving till I find a hot bird or spot one in a field I can circle and get in front of.

rrr

I'm not sure how it would work because when I use my slate, I hold it in front of me slightly angled in my hand, not directly facing me. Of course, I've found that mouth calls or calling from a blind and either shutting up when they get close enough to see the decoys or hunting with a partner so that one is calling and the other has the first shot is the most effective. I figure that this is basically an extension of mounting a push-button call on your shotgun.

If you get one, let me know how it looks.

Glen

My 1st impression of that slate holder when I 1st seen it 2 weeks ago at Cabelas was that you're trying to not be busted by movement. Now you have your arm stretched out past the forearm on your shotgun & have to draw it back to flip the safety & get on the trigger. It does look like a fine idea tho. If you get one I would be interested in knowing how well it works for you.