Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Which week in November?

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I'm already planning for the 2018/19 deer season.

PA's archery season closes shortly after Veterans Day weekend. Letterkenny Army Depot has two major hunts that weekend and there is just about no way I am going to miss them. If the last hunt is on the 12th I was thinking of leaving from Letterkenny or the following morning and hunt the 13th to the 18th. However, I've read that the week of Thanksgiving can be pretty darn good. I have seen several articles about how the "lock down" phase is coming to an end and the big mature bucks are moving more looking for hot doe.

If you had to choose between the following dates when would you go?

13-18 November

17-23 November

I might be able to come the last week of October, but I'd be pushing it since I plan on using two weeks of vacation to hunt elk in Idaho this year.

nis1

I'm already planning for the 2018/19 deer season.

PA's archery season closes shortly after Veterans Day weekend. Letterkenny Army Depot has two major hunts that weekend and there is just about no way I am going to miss them. If the last hunt is on the 12th I was thinking of leaving from Letterkenny or the following morning and hunt the 13th to the 18th. However, I've read that the week of Thanksgiving can be pretty darn good. I have seen several articles about how the "lock down" phase is coming to an end and the big mature bucks are moving more looking for hot doe.

If you had to choose between the following dates when would you go?

13-18 November

17-23 November

I might be able to come the last week of October, but I'd be pushing it since I plan on using two weeks of vacation to hunt elk in Idaho this year.

I would do the 13-18. I have seen bucks chasing the later week but you are much fewer and far between at that point. 10-15 is hard to beat. Period.

Bigcountry40

up by Jim and I bucks were at it last week of October this past year, that cold front that came in got things moving early in NW

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Thanks for the suggestions. If I do come it'll probably be after Veterans day.

Now that I think about it, that is when I used to come home to hunt. I always wanted to come earlier, but the Marine Corps B-Day Ball was usually around the 10th. Being I was an officer it was pretty much mandatory..... LOL