Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Why I hate Fishing in Ohio

Fletch

Supporting Member
Ohio fishing can't be all that bad... It is what it is, you just got to make the best of it and enjoy the day doing what you like to do. Go light on the tackle and enjoy those smaller fish. Head over to Western Pa. and find a nice mountain brook with native trout in it. Little fish but you can't beat fishing for them. Of course fish down South are going to be bigger, they thrive in a warmer climate, thus grow constantly. Hey I live in Jersey and our inland waters are on par with Ohio's waters as far as quality and quantity. On the other hand our saltwater fishing is pretty good. Want to catch some nice fish? Come to Jersey around the end of April and head out for some striper's. Our striper run is what articles are written about in magazines. 30,40 lbs are pretty common, and fising can getting very intense hen your on a school of bunker with big bass under them. So get a couple guy's together and head here for a week-end. I'll point you in the right direction.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Any time spent fishing is a good time and it's always relaxing to wet a line. But if you're serious about angling and want to catch some pigs and a good number of them each trip ohio just ain't it. If you want to have a fun day catching a bunch of throwbacks you can do that anywhere around here. Maybe I'm spoiled knowing how fishing is in the south. Pretty much anywhere you go you'll get in to some fishing that memories would be made of if you were in Ohio, in Ms that's just another day fishing. Around here the story is always "you can catch some if you do XY and Z" an it's always things like trolling humps, jig this one hole, find the old roadbed, there's a old creek located at this part of the lake. Etc. And it's usually hit or miss even doing that. Back home you can pull off the road and walk down to the edge of any backwater, bounce a jig off an old Cyprus tree and yank out a 15 inch crappie, slab gill, or a lunker bass. Granted you'll also get trash like gar, snakehead, striped bass, and fresh water drum but they're fun to catch too.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Sounds like the boat I'm in when it comes to hunting. In this wonderful state of New Jersey the deer herd has been decimated by very liberal and long seasons set by the Div. of Fish and Game. After hunting Illinois I have no desire to go sit in the wood's all day here only to see nothing or see a lone deer I have no desire to harvest. I haven't bought a bow license here in close to 10 year's. I only buy the firearm license to hunt for bears. Which we have some very large ones roaming the woods. That will soon change though as our professional's are moving up the season to mid-Oct next year for a week of archery and muzzleloader. Now the season is the first week of Dec. so some bear's are hibernating, therefore will survive, which is good. But I hear ya on fishing down South.. Hey soon you'll have a little one to take fishing...That's going to be great!!!! Something to look forward to.

Riverdude

The Happy Hunting Grounds Beyond
Supporting Member
Ashtabula, Ohio
Outer Banks, NC..............

IMG_20150610_150138303 (1).jpg

IMG_20150610_150820116.jpg

Fletch

Supporting Member
Nice pics guys. I have to get out to lake Erie for some waleyes. Whens the best time?

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I grew up in the south. Specifically north west GA. I fished Oconee, West Point, Eufala, Guntersville, and many back ponds on a regular basis. The fishing down south is definite more consistent and you will get into a lot bigger fish a lot faster. There is no doubt in my mind that if you are looking for big numbers and big fish the south is where to go. Especially if you are targeting crappie, large mouth, or brim.

On the other hand I have just as much fun and probably have become a better fisherman fishing here in southern Ohio. I have learned a lot more about thinking outside the box to throw different lure and bait combinations. Trying to find something that not every tom dick and harry has been throwing. I have also had to learn to change my presentation. Fishing a lot slower.

In GA and AL you can basically get good at throwing one or two baits and have a great chance at slaying them. As long as you have a chartreuse or pumpkinseed soft bait or a shad rattle trap you will be pretty good to go.

I just enjoy being on the water and will take the opportunity every chance I get.
I do look forward to getting back home and fishing the lily pads and hydrilla grasses.
Nothing like pulling a 8-10lber out through the lily's.

Fletch

Supporting Member
I was looking through photobucket for something and came across these pic's... Thought you guys might enjoy...

Biggest salmon caught on my boat up on Lake Ontario.... 32 lbs if my scale was accurate..

12 lb brown caught the same trip..

Remember my mentioning striper fishing in Jersey. My best striper just shy of 40lbs.

Last but not least... Best fish to date... 175 lb. sword fish... Caught on an overnight tuna trip in the Hudson canyon off the Jersey coast. Seem's everyone wanted swordfish steaks...

Big variety of fish... But some of the best times are being out with my grandson catching them small pan fish...

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
PM Gern or them other northern brothers of TOO for Erie walleye hot times as they really slay em up there it seems!

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Metzgers is a nice place for largies and pike.

Since this has been resurrected I want to share some recent Ohio fishing news. Just a week or so ago there was a nationally-syndicated crappie tournament is NE Ohio, I believe it was Mosquito Lake. Two day tourney, 14 fish limit. Winning bag limit for 14 fish weighed it at just shy of 17 pounds. Not too bad for a northern climate fishery.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Metzgers is a nice place for largies and pike.

Since this has been resurrected I want to share some recent Ohio fishing news. Just a week or so ago there was a nationally-syndicated crappie tournament is NE Ohio, I believe it was Mosquito Lake. Two day tourney, 14 fish limit. Winning bag limit for 14 fish weighed it at just shy of 17 pounds. Not too bad for a northern climate fishery.

That lake had the crappie, walleye and bass tournaments on it that weekend.... You could of walked across the lake and not gotten wet with the number of boats lol....
It gets pounded and keeps producing year after year.... Shallow and lots of weeds....

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
That lake had the crappie, walleye and bass tournaments on it that weekend.... You could of walked across the lake and not gotten wet with the number of boats lol....
It gets pounded and keeps producing year after year.... Shallow and lots of weeds....
I've only fished it twice and it was phenomenal both times. One hell of a fishery, no doubt about it.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
You can bet there's at least a bass tournament on that lake every weekend and they have one every Thursday evening as well.... Still produces.... It's the most consistent lake around us, well except for Erie that is lol