Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Winchester Universal 12ga Shells Garbage

I bought a bulk pack of Winchester Universal 12g shells (100 shell count box). I bought them just to shoot clays from our backyard trap thrower. Every shell I fired the aluminum case swelled inside the chamber of my Berretta 391. So I tried them in my Remington m870 express which has fed, fired, and ejected every shot shell and slug for the pass 15 years in all kinds of conditions. Then tried them in my h&r single shot. The h&r and the 870 had the same problem as the Berretta. So I drove to back to dicks and got some good old Winchester AA and didnt have anymore problems. Here are the target loads you should never use. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Winchester-Universal-12-Gauge-Shotgun-Shells-100pk/16817270

Last edited:

Huckleberry Finn

Good to know, I was eyeing 100 packs at Dicks the other day and thinking it's time to do some spring/summer time skeet shooting.

I've always used the "white" Winchester box, which I believe are the AA's you mentioned.

Can't believe they didn't shoot in your 870. Waiting to hear someone say you should have tried a 500...shit. Sounds like a bad batch of shells.

Good to know, I was eyeing 100 packs at Dicks the other day and thinking it's time to do some spring/summer time skeet shooting.

I've always used the "white" Winchester box, which I believe are the AA's you mentioned.

Can't believe they didn't shoot in your 870. Waiting to hear someone say you should have tried a 500...shit. Sounds like a bad batch of shells.

I just search "Winchester Universal" on Google apparently I'm not the only one who has had problems with these shells. I even tried shooting them out of my 20 inch barrel for the 870. If I owned a Mossberg shotgun I would have tried them in it.

Last edited:

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Winchester AAs are their best and comparable to anyones best. White box are good but a small step down. Universal are made to sell at a good price at big box stores. I think QC is an issue with all brands of discount shells.

My 4H club had a batch of federal top gun 20 gauge that was bad. 1 or 2 shells per box were bad. the case head was severally cupped from seating the primer. Talked to a Fed rep and his answer was "they are cheap shells, what do you expect?"

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Dang, thanks for the heads up. I usually just pick up a case of Federal target loads when the Fin has them on sale around late summer... Usually you can get them for $45-50. (250 rounds)