Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

YETI COOLERS DROPS THE NRA...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Yet another company is comming up big against th NRA... Yeti coolers has dropped doing anything with the NRA Foundation... Think it's time the American Sportsman say KMA to all these companies... They better wise up and come to the conclusion that us adulls in the outdoor world keep them in business and not these spoiled kids that are making all the noise...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yet another company is comming up big against th NRA... Yeti coolers has dropped doing anything with the NRA Foundation... Think it's time the American Sportsman say KMA to all these companies... They better wise up and come to the conclusion that us adulls in the outdoor world keep them in business and not these spoiled kids that are making all the noise...

Wow. Thanks for letting us know. Of all the companies this one makes the least sense.

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
Screenshot_20180422-201809.png

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I did see a press release from Yeti on IG this morning and it's definitely poor press and IMO, they could have done a better job combatting it, but it's definitely being twisted to make it appear they are running from the NRA and gun rights.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
From YETI...

From Sean...

I’m still waiting to hear about all the hunting and conservation groups RTIC coolers supports.

The NRA Foundation was basically trying to bully YETI with this stunt. And people all over the internet had a social media knee-jerk reaction to it. It really irritates me because this is the exact tactic mainstream media accuses the NRA of. And here they are, doing it to the hunting community. Dividing people, calling for boycotts. It’s b.s. The last thing the hunting community and gun community needs is division amongst ourselves all because of a bogus press release put out by the NRA Foundation. Pull it together people. We have bigger problems to focus on.

Reactions: Archertl

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
From YETI...

From Sean...

I’m still waiting to hear about all the hunting and conservation groups RTIC coolers supports.

The NRA Foundation was basically trying to bully YETI with this stunt. And people all over the internet had a social media knee-jerk reaction to it. It really irritates me because this is the exact tactic mainstream media accuses the NRA of. And here they are, doing it to the hunting community. Dividing people, calling for boycotts. It’s b.s. The last thing the hunting community and gun community needs is division amongst ourselves all because of a bogus press release put out by the NRA Foundation. Pull it together people. We have bigger problems to focus on.

So what I see is yeti discontinued their discount benefits with the NRA, and in its place offered some crappy cooler customization program that is basically available to everyone willing to pay for it. I don't see this as any different than Delta, Enterprise, or anybody else ending their discount agreements with the NRA. Yeti however was smart enough to include some other companies in getting the axe to make it appear as though they're not picking on the NRA directly and it was more of a business decision. The brand development people at Yeti are not stupid, in no way would they have ever risked this negative PR at this moment if they didn't absolutely want away from the NRA. Even if they were losing money on NRA discounts any brand development team worth half their salt would have said it's not worth touching right now and to just leave it alone. I also find it incredibly difficult to believe that an organization so large as the NRA would put a company like Yeti on blast risking a defamation suit to bully them into maintaining 10% off an overpriced cooler. The NRA itself stands to gain absolutely nothing by doing so.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
So what I see is yeti discontinued their discount benefits with the NRA, and in its place offered some crappy cooler customization program that is basically available to everyone willing to pay for it. - This wasn't exclusive to the NRA, there were other groups involved in the same program.

I don't see this as any different than Delta, Enterprise, or anybody else ending their discount agreements with the NRA. - It isn't even close to the same thing. The examples you mentioned were politically motivated. The YETI program change has absolutely nothing to do with politics.

Yeti however was smart enough to include some other companies in getting the axe to make it appear as though they're not picking on the NRA directly and it was more of a business decision. - Nobody got the ax. All of the companies can still buy from YETI.

The brand development people at Yeti are not stupid, in no way would they have ever risked this negative PR at this moment if they didn't absolutely want away from the NRA. - Again, YETI isn't moving away from the NRA. The NRA Foundation put out the release, containing complete lies about the situation.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So what I see is yeti discontinued their discount benefits with the NRA, and in its place offered some crappy cooler customization program that is basically available to everyone willing to pay for it. - This wasn't exclusive to the NRA, there were other groups involved in the same program. As i said, throw in some others to make it appear as though it wasn't just about the NRA.add some deniability.

I don't see this as any different than Delta, Enterprise, or anybody else ending their discount agreements with the NRA. - It isn't even close to the same thing. The examples you mentioned were politically motivated. The YETI program change has absolutely nothing to do with politics. Sure it didnt, they just all of a sudden ended a discount program with the NRA which magically corresponded to the same timeframe other companies were doing the exact same thing. Just really unfortunate timing on behalf of the Yeti brand development team right.

Yeti however was smart enough to include some other companies in getting the axe to make it appear as though they're not picking on the NRA directly and it was more of a business decision. - Nobody got the ax. All of the companies can still buy from YETI. That's like me saying "yeah we're ending our partnership and removing your discount but you're still more than welcome to purchase at full price. No harm no foul right.

The brand development people at Yeti are not stupid, in no way would they have ever risked this negative PR at this moment if they didn't absolutely want away from the NRA. - Again, YETI isn't moving away from the NRA. The NRA Foundation put out the release, containing complete lies about the situation. I think the NRA put out a PR release calling a spade a spade. Yeti pulled their discount program just like Delta and Enterprise. Yeti just decided to take a more covert approach by saying it was a business decision that also involved others, instead of the public relations stunt of taking a side. The only reason Yeti would ever do this right now and even risk the misunderstanding in the court of public opinion is if they wanted out. They wanted to cut ties and did so, but unlike others who had the balls to say why, Yeti left themselves a built in excuse to save face.

Curran

Supporting Member
Central Ohio
I guess we will just agree to disagree. It’s cool.

Facts vs conjecture. I guess that’s what makes for good engagement.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I tend to agree with Joe on this from one main perspective: terrible, terrible timing by Yeti regardless of any other factors being true, perceived or otherwise. My personal opinion is Yeti could have achieved this same thing with much better results had they either waited to do so, or issued a preemptive public statement. The second thing I agree with Joe on is the NRA Foundation's handling of the issue leaves me to believe the closed door conversations did little to appease the Foundation, therefore they were straightforward about the deal.

Yeti will suffer as a result of this whether fairly so or not. IMO, some of the suffering is self-inflicted based on timing and timing alone.

Fletch

Supporting Member
Perhaps it's time for Yeti to make a statement to the world exactly where their stance is on the current situation and endorse the NRA and perhaps give NRA members a discount on its products... Perhaps the NRA could give out a Yeti travel mug with new member sign ups... Something just to show where their support is. Until then Joe has brought up some valid points..

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I guess we will just agree to disagree. It’s cool.

Facts vs conjecture. I guess that’s what makes for good engagement.

Lol "facts" kind of like when Delta and Dicks say they're strong supporters of hunters and the second amendment, those kind of facts.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Perhaps it's time for Yeti to make a statement to the world exactly where their stance is on the current situation and endorse the NRA and perhaps give NRA members a discount on its products... Perhaps the NRA could give out a Yeti travel mug with new member sign ups... Something just to show where their support is. Until then Joe has brought up some valid points..

Precisely. Not once did they ever say they believe in the NRAs mission or purpose and support their cause and they regret this supposed misunderstanding. Which is what they're being accused of not doing. Wouldnt it make sense to clear that up first. Instead they went the "we believe and support sportsmen, outdoorsmen, hunters, and the second amendment" route with no positive mention of the NRA. In situations like this that statement means absolutely nothing because all the other companies who have made the same move said the same thing. They didn't say it because they want to disassociate themselves with the NRA which is the true reason they did this.

Fletch

Supporting Member
One last thought on this...... How many on TOO own a YETI Cooler.... And I don't mean a mug, I'm talking a 300-500 dollar cooler... Not many I'll bet, and I'll bet not many of your average sportsman that are trying to make ends meet and provide for a family own one... Which leads me to believe YETI marketing strategies are aimed at a more affluent customer base, such as these soccer moms that drive fancy BMW'S and the like.... Yes, the same mom's whose kid's are throwing these temper tantrums... So who do you really think is going under the bus first?? Their goal is making $$$$$$$$,,, who they have to step on is irrelevant....