Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

1023's Seasonal Exploits - 2020 Edition

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I spent the better part of my day doing deer chores, ordering supplies, and watching deer-related YouTube videos, so you could say things are getting serious. Serious enough to kick off another year's worth of hunting talk as it relates to my 20th bow season and my 30th year of deer hunting. It's also season #15 on the Farm with No Name. I deployed a few cameras today while I was spraying food plots, so we'll see what's going on out there in a few weeks. I'll share some more about each food plot when each planting day arrives. I'll be back out there this weekend to move 2 ladders stands and prep a few other things. This will be Kaydence's first season hunting the farm, so I need to get a few things prepped for her too. The season is less than 90 days away, which means it'll be here before we know it!

Last edited:

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Spent the morning running through a list of chores which included moving 2 ladders stands and set of sticks. The ladder stands are in much better spots than they were previously and I can trust their straps again. The set of sticks was overlooking one of my creek bottom food plots. I didn't like how exposed it was, so I moved it back into the wood 20' and it made a big difference. I can't wait to sit here this fall!

20200711_083324.jpg

This is the same food plot where I wounded Wilson and encountered Deuce way back when. The neighbor baits heavily about 150 yards from here and pulls deer out of my sanctuary in the process. But he pressures his pile and they'll only visit at night. This food plot should help keep them lingering on the way back in the AM and it gives them a place to stage before they hit his corn at night.

20200711_065456.jpg

Love the looks of that plot Jesse. Are you going to til up or drag something through that before you plant or is the kill good enough to put seed on it and call it a day? I'm contemplating doing a few poor man plots of spray, maybe mow and then plant but just not sure if I really need to rough the ground up first.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I will till it up, but only because I can and prefer the peace of mind that comes from doing so. But it's killed good enough to seed clover, brassicas, turnips, or any small seed. If I had a harrow drag, I could drag it well with that, then seed and drag again, too. And if I run out of time, I can still seed without doing much more work.

Reactions: Big_Holla

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I will till it up, but only because I can and prefer the peace of mind that comes from doing so. But it's killed good enough to seed clover, brassicas, turnips, or any small seed. If I had a harrow drag, I could drag it well with that, then seed and drag again, too. And if I run out of time, I can still seed without doing much more work.

Looks good Jesse. I've gotta get my butt in gear if I'm gonna do some plots this year. Brush hogging this week, and hoping to spray over long break. I have a harrow you are more than welcome to use any time, that's why I bought one.

Question on the plots, do you or have you ever spread any lime for clover/turnips/brassicas, or will they grow about anywhere? I'm new to the game, and I hate to spend money planting something that won't grow in my poor soil. I have plans to turn all these areas around and get the PH back where it needs to be, but it wont be this year.

Reactions: 5Cent

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I started planting food plots in 2006 and have never paid for a soil test and I've never had a plot fail to produce. I usually add pelletized lime at the time of planting and really, just use my gut intuition. For my creek bottom plots, I spread a little under the 300-400# per acre rate that's usually recommended. I also go light on years 2 and 3 after planting, then the 4th year, I'll hit them a little heavier. My experience has been that brassicas and turnips will grow just about anywhere, same with clover. If you blend brassicas with some oats, rye, triticale, and clover, you'll get growth even in poor soil.

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Buckmaster

Portage
You should soil test annually. It’s a $9 test. That $9 will tell you what you need to do based on what you’re planting. It may even save you some cost avoidance for unnecessary materials.

Reactions: Stressless

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
"Should" being the keyword. In my busy life, I'd rather skip the time and hassle of bagging up dirt and waiting on results, and just get to work. Pelletize lime and fertilizer are nominal expenses when you food plot on a small scale like I do. At the end of the day, if you're wallet ain't broke and your plots are green, that's all that matters. At least for me, but to each their own.

Fluteman

Supporting Member
Southeast Ohio
I started planting food plots in 2006 and have never paid for a soil test and I've never had a plot fail to produce. I usually add pelletized lime at the time of planting and really, just use my gut intuition. For my creek bottom plots, I spread a little under the 300-400# per acre rate that's usually recommended. I also go light on years 2 and 3 after planting, then the 4th year, I'll hit them a little heavier. My experience has been that brassicas and turnips will grow just about anywhere, same with clover. If you blend brassicas with some oats, rye, triticale, and clover, you'll get growth even in poor soil.

Thanks for the information Jesse. I've read a ton about it, but it's just not the same as speaking with someone who's done what your trying to do in SE Ohio, in areas less than ideal for food plotting.

Last question, and I promise I'll leave it be. Are you buying mixed seed from one of these companies that specializes in whitetail blends, or are you going to the local feed store and asking them to mix something up. I believe I've heard your or someone else (may Al) talk about Merit...

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've done my own blending before, but it always boils down to the quick and easy for me, so I have ordered the majority of my seed from Merit, Whitetail Institute, and for the first time this year, Frigid Forage. The Autumn Quick Plot from FF seems like a great blend and it should do well in most of our soils. When it comes to an initial planting for a little soil conditioning, I like the groundhog radishes from Merit in the fall, then frost seed it in early February with a clover/chicory blend. By the following fall, you either have a clover plot, or a well conditioned plot ready for it's next planting of an annual.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Took little Kenna Grace along with me today to tear out the old blind that collapsed back in January. We had a good time and things are set for the opener. I added a grapevine mock scrape at 30 yards and plenty of room to scatter corn between it and the 20 yard mark from the blind. Pretty lethal setup.

20200801_124416.jpg
20200801_132518.jpg
20200801_134124.jpg