Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2 kicks to the nuts

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
I took last Friday off to fill my doe tags. While in the tree I got a text a big one was dead on the interstate just east of the farm.
I eventually made my way over there to see which one it might be. It ended up being a deer we have no history with, so he must have lived across the highway and got himself killed while out looking for love. I met the DNR guy for a salvage tag about an hour later, but when we went to scoop him up we were too late. He was dead in the median so I'm kinda surprised he was gone. Mainframe 8s don't get much bigger or prettier than him.

IMG_9546.JPG

IMG_9547.JPG

Then today I got a call around 1 as my buddies were going in to hunt the farm. An eagle in the picked corn across the road tipped them off to a dead deer in the field. When they went over they found this one. The one we called 'Daisy' (9x5). Not sure how he died, but also assume roadkill as he was about 70 or so yards off the gravel. Called the DNR on this one too and I headed up after work and got him out of the field before someone else snagged him. Looked like he had been dead a few days and was getting a tad ripe. Last pics we had of him were from last Saturday.

IMG_9568.JPG

IMG_9569.JPG

IMG_9572.JPG

IMG_9570.JPG

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
How’s Shea taking it? I’ve been pulling for her to take Daisy. I know how excited she was to have history with a deer.
She’s ok with it. She gets to keep his sheds from last year now and I think that is all she cared about! Got word from the guys who hunt that side if the gravel that they heard a big gun go off at that same field yesterday around 8:30pm while they were out tracking one. Heard the vehicle speed off. I’m meeting the CO up there here in a bit for the salvage tag so may cross-cross the field a bit to see if another may be out there.

Reactions: giles

Iowa_Buckeye

Smartest person here
Linn County Iowa
And a 3rd kick!!!
My buddy found this one today while heading out for an evening sit. We called this one 'Droopy' and believed him to be 5.
Strange thing is the last known pic we got of him was an hour prior to and just across the gravel from the gun-shot I mentioned earlier. Found him at least 1/2 mile from that spot, so maybe just coincidence. My buddy did pull a bunch of cams on that part of the farm so it will be interesting if we did get any later pics of him. Two COs showed up when he got the salvage tag and there were discussing setting up the robo-buck over the field where the shot was and where we found the other one. Hoping they do it! It is set up perfectly for it.

IMG_9647.JPG

IMG_9648.JPG

Reactions: Sgt Fury