Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2 prong outlet changed to 3 prong

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm confident in taking the safe steps to change outlets. I can Google videos to confirm I am doing it right. Thinking "This old house" video is a safe source for education on he subject. Feeling like our resident electricians or home inspectors might be able to direct me a bit more though. @Isaacorps @Mike and others I am probably forgetting who are knowledgeable in the area.

Lowe's has GFCI receptacles for $18-20 each. I understand the need to ground to a metal box. I understand they need to be labeled appropriately. I am not sure though if I should trust the Amazon GFCI receptacles? They have 10 packs for $80-90. I really do need more than this so the 10 packs make sense.

Any brands you suggest? 15amp or 20amp? Other thoughts I should consider?

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Leviton 20amp

What room are you changing the outlet in Phil?

In a Bathroom by the time the wife plugs in the hair dryer and a curling iron it doesn't leave much room for anything else to plug in and run without tripping the outlet.
I figured they may trip easily. I've had this issue in other situations. Don't believe I have any bathroom receptacles to do.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Really the only place you need the GFCI's are near water sources. If your just looking to replace regular livingroom, bedrooms, and dining room outlets you can just put in a regular 3 prong.

Unless codes have changed it use to be GFCI needed to be put in place if an outlet was within 6' of a water source. Things like sinks, bathtub/shower, utility room, laundry room ... you get the point

Last edited:
Reactions: Big_Holla

Isaacorps

Columbus
Code dictates that a standard 3 prong outlet can only be installed where a grounding conductor exists. In other words, you can’t just swap an existing 2 prong outlet with a 3 prong if there is no grounding conductor. (Think old 2 conductor wire with no bare ground wire) Code does allow for the installation of a 3 prong GFCI in place of an existing ungrounded 2 prong outlet, however. I think this is what you are referring to, Phil. As far as brands, just make sure the GFCI device is UL listed. 15 amp is plenty for residential applications, even on 20 amp circuits. When swapping an ungrounded 2 prong with a GFCI be sure to affix the provided “no equipment ground” sticker. You also don’t need to install a GFCI device at each location. Once a GFCI is installed at the head of the circuit, you can proceed with swapping ungrounded 2 prong outlets downstream with standard 3 prong outlets. Be sure to affix the provided “GFCI protected outlet” and “no equipment ground” stickers.