Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I just heard on the radio that a tour bus lady caught this TWICE! How scary is that? You can catch this multiple times. Unlike most of these things that you only catch once. How’s a vaccination gonna fight that?
Wouldn't This be like any other flu bug?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I just heard on the radio that a tour bus lady caught this TWICE! How scary is that? You can catch this multiple times. Unlike most of these things that you only catch once. How’s a vaccination gonna fight that?

The jury is still out on a persons ability to catch it twice. With viruses there's always the potential for relapse. Perhaps she didn't completely get over it the first time and it worsened. But it's also likely that it evolves like the flu or common cold. The cold is in the coronavirus family. There are hundreds of viruses that cause symptoms similar to the cold. The biggest one that gets the majority of people is the rhinovirus and there are over a 100 variations of that. They just don't know yet if the RNA of the virus can adapt, if it can then this either becomes season or a year round virus. It's just still too early to tell.

Quantum673

Black Hat Cajun
Supporting Member
I am in the mindset of let's wait and see what happens.

From reading multiple articles and listening to several sources. The best I can figure is that this is getting blown out of proportion. The numbers so far just do not justify the media outcry. Just another fear tactic.

Should we all be prepared? Sure we should be vigilant the same way you should be about the flu. Wash your hands, cover your mouth when coughing or sneezing, stay home if you are sick. Especially for the senior population and anyone with a compromised immune system.

Could I be sadly mistaken? Sure but for me the jury is still out and I see this as just another version of the flu.

It also sounds like the anti-viral medication has been quite successful in treating patients. We will see I guess.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
First U.S. coronavirus case of unknown origin confirmed in Northern California, CDC says

Officials with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention confirmed the nation’s first coronavirus case of unknown origin Wednesday in Northern California in the latest sign of the virus’ rapid spread.

“It is a confirmed case. There is one in Northern California,” CDC spokesman Scott Pauley told The Sacramento Bee just before 4 p.m. Wednesday.

In the Northern California case, “the individual is a resident of Solano County and is receiving medical care in Sacramento County. The individual had no known exposure to the virus through travel or close contact with a known infected individual,” California Department of Public Health officials said in a news release Wednesday evening. State public health officials in Sacramento, citing the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, said the case is the first person-to-person transmission of the COVID-19 virus.

Read more here: https://www.sacbee.com/news/local/health-and-medicine/article240674471.html#storylink=cpy

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
The beard shaving thing is a 2017 infographic by the cdc directed to professional people where a mask is a requiremnt - no about the corona virus -

Yes and no.

Are you following the CDC or WHO recommendations regarding how its transmitted? And they aren't completely sure yet.

The basic masks that you see in surgery or China, e.t.c are only to protect you from spreading diseases, they don't protect you from catching them.

N95 masks are used in healthcare and elsewhere for a higher level of protection of you from the outside contaminant whether that be tuberculosis, vaporized herpes, e.t.c. To get the correct seal and full protection yes it's time to be clean shaven.

So...... up to you and how you see your risk.

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Yes and no.

Are you following the CDC or WHO recommendations regarding how its transmitted? And they aren't completely sure yet.

The basic masks that you see in surgery or China, e.t.c are only to protect you from spreading diseases, they don't protect you from catching them.

N95 masks are used in healthcare and elsewhere for a higher level of protection of you from the outside contaminant whether that be tuberculosis, vaporized herpes, e.t.c. To get the correct seal and full protection yes it's time to be clean shaven.

So...... up to you and how you see your risk.

Yes the N95 mask has to fit properly and maintained as the outside of the N95 get containinated

Reactions: triple_duece

Bowkills

Nw oh
So u guys buying bleach and latex everything what is the purpose of this? I mean like time line use of it? I'm failing to see the point unless everyones infected (which Id think everyone will be staying put then)and you scape through. R u going to walk around daily with this stuff on in ur house or what's the purpose to have it stockpiled? I'd think food and cases of ammo for defense of people coming on your property would be the best to stock up on. If it's 2 percent death rate I'll stay at home take my chances.

Reactions: hickslawns

Reactions: giles and Tipmoose

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Bleach and latex gloves have dozens of applications and are staple supplies in our house whether or not coronavirus is needed. If one of us gets sick, we'll need to disinfect and clean items to the best of our ability. Seems pretty logical to me.

Reactions: Mike

Outside

The N95 makes won’t stop viruses. It’s only meant to limit droplet transmission. The virus can easily pass through the pores on any mask (.5 micron diameter).

If it were me, I’d use bleach (or really any convenient halogenated material) as a disinfectant.

Quat Lysol would work well too, if you left it on surfaces long enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
I don't know how they could ring the bell any louder unless they started knocking on doors.

Dr. Nancy Messonnier, director of the CDC’s National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases, told reporters on a conference call.

"Now is the time for businesses, hospitals, communities, schools and everyday people to begin preparing,” she said.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/25/cdc...usinesses-would-look-like-in-us-pandemic.html

Reactions: Mike

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
So u guys buying bleach and latex everything what is the purpose of this? I mean like time line use of it? I'm failing to see the point unless everyones infected (which Id think everyone will be staying put then)and you scape through. R u going to walk around daily with this stuff on in ur house or what's the purpose to have it stockpiled? I'd think food and cases of ammo for defense of people coming on your property would be the best to stock up on. If it's 2 percent death rate I'll stay at home take my chances.

To avoid contracting a virus it's a game of calculated risks. Initially, you may still want to leave the house, so in that case, this risk can be mitigated by following proper hygiene and social distancing strategies. When you return home you may want to decontaminate your person before entering the house. Remember your house is your last resort, you don't want to inadvertently contaminate it with droplets that may be on your hands or clothes. A very diluted bleach solution is a powerful killer of viruses. You can also use it to decontaminate items you need to bring inside like mail, supplies or packages.

Gloves provide a great barrier if you ha e to come in contact with anything that may be contaminated that you can't decontaminate before touching. Gas pumps, doorknobs, card readers, etc. Throw on a glove, interact with the object, appropriately take the globe off, decontaminate your hands just in case.

It's all about mitigating risks.

Reactions: Mike and Hedgelj