Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019-nCoV (Coronavirus)

Tipmoose

Supporting Member
Grove City
And another bit of info....

Just to give everyone a reference for how slow things are.

A few days ago my hospital saw 68 patients come through the ED in a 24 hour period! On January 21st of this year, we had 256 patients come through in a 24 hour period.

In February of this year, our daily average was 186 patients per day. March was 140 patients per day, with the last 2 weeks averaging 92/day.

So far in April we are averaging 81 per day.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Effective at the end of the day tomorrow, they are closing one of the local MedExpress facilities here. No one is going there, so there's no reason to be open.

My wife volunteered to work 12 hour shifts for Employee Health calling and interviewing people who have been in contact with treated patients. It's spreading like wildfire here. 3 patients took out 12 staff members on Sunday, including 7 of 9 people on an ICU shift. Why you ask?Not wearing proper PPE...

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Who gets the last ventilator at Salem Hospital: My next door neighbor or a Federal prisoner? This is not an awkward thought exercise. This is a real scenario that may occur soon at Salem Regional Medical Center in Salem, Ohio.

While I feel awful about the national COVID hotspots that you hear every day in the national news, I want to share a new story with you about an emerging COVID hotspot which is Northeastern Ohio, specifically here in Columbiana County.

The Federal Correctional Institution Elkton, (Elkton Prison) is operated by the Federal Bureau of Prisons, and is the only Federal prison in Ohio. Within the past five days, a COVID surge is happening at Elkton. On April 5, it was reported that seven inmates tested positive for COVID. On April 6, it was reported that 23 inmates and two staff members tested positive for COVID (this is out of 53 total COVID cases in the entire county). This in addition to the three Elkton prisoners who have died from COVID. This is included in the five total deaths in the county so far. It is also reported in the Salem News that 29 inmates are currently hospitalized at area hospitals, and nine of them are on ventilators.

Last month, it was reported by WKBN that more testing kits were requested from the Federal Bureau of Prisons, because Elkton Prison was initially only given FIVE testing kits for 2500 inmates. What is the real number of COVID cases at Elkton Prison? Is it possible that there could be 2500 cases of COVID at Elkton right now? CBS News is reporting that a local nursing home has given up on testing, and is assuming that ALL 450 residents and 300 employees have COVID. What if that happened at Elkton Prison?

Tonight, the local US Congressman, Bill Johnson, released a statement: “We’ve got to protect the staff and inmates at Elkton from the COVID-19 outbreak, and right now that facility is like a Petri dish, a breeding ground for the virus.” As you can probably guess, this “petri dish” of COVID cases do not practice social distancing. According to this article from The American Prospect, sources say that the “prison is ‘overrun’ with the virus.” In addition, in an article from Vice News, an inmate allegedly said, “They literally leaving us in here to die.”

This begs the next question: When federal prisoners are ill and need to go to the hospital, where do they go? No, they do not go to a hospital run by the Federal Government. They go to the hospitals that you and I go to for care. One of these hospitals is Salem Regional Medical Center. Salem Hospital has the same struggles of what is happening nationally: not enough ventilators and not enough PPE. Will this pending Federal Prison COVID surge overwhelm Salem Hospital? It is possible, and we’ll learn that very soon.

Before I go on, I want to give many thanks to Governor Dewine, Dr. Acton, and the officials from the State of Ohio who have been recognized locally, nationally, and internationally, for their response to the COVID epidemic. Unfortunately, as the Governor stated the state of Ohio has no jurisdiction on a Federal prison, and the state of Ohio can only help so much.

Now, I want to make it clear that I am not a spokesperson for Salem Hospital. As a Family Physician in the community, I do see patients at the hospital, but my statements here are of a concerned citizen. I’m concerned that Salem Hospital needs more resources from the Federal Government (namely more ventilators and more PPE) to help with the impending COVID surge from Elkton Federal Prison. There has a lot been written about supporting the prison, the staff at the prison, and the prisoners. But, what about supporting the hospitals that these prisoners are going to, and supporting the communities where these hospitals live?

You have read stories from New York City asking the question “Which Coronavirus Patients will get Life-Saving Ventilators?” With this impending Elkton COVID surge, those questions will also be asked soon if no help arrives. Why should the citizens of Salem, Ohio and Columbiana County have to be denied resources like a ventilator, if these resources are taken up by Federal prisoners? The situation of who should and who should not have a ventilator - should not happen.

I appreciate that Congressman Bill Johnson is involved in the situation. I’m also calling on Senators Brown and Portman to see what they can do to help the situation. Heck, I’m even asking President Trump to see if he can do anything to assist the citizens of Salem, Ohio and Columbiana County. Salem Hospital needs Federal resources, and hopefully we can make this happen

http://drmikesevilla.com/blog/2020/...snvv1mQUa9GSiFlSe2sPca0s5AxZHgBycPardD1I1BVxc

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That article Sam posted is exactly why this social distancing thing is so important. Some in my circle do not like what Dewine has done on this issue. This piece demonstrates why I think he has made the right moves. However, he has little control over a federal prison.

Reactions: Boarhead and 5Cent
Back from the Kroger pick-up this morning. Took me 1 hr. 45 min. to go, pick up, return home and wipe every single item down before bringing into the house and then shower, clothes in the washer. Used way more Lysol wipes than I thought so will definitely mix a bucket up of some disinfectant next time around. Hoping this buy puts us at 3 weeks before we need another. Definitely got less than what was ordered though, $120 worth. Some can sizes went to the small and some items weren't available. All good though, I figured that would happen and over ordered some anyway. Noteworthy was the entire staff at Kroger (those I could see from my vehicle as well) all had gloves and face masks on. Also it seemed like 2 out of 3 people going in/out had mask and gloves on. Including an old man with a mask and gloves with his wife who had nothing on shopping together..... :rolleyes::cry:

Geezer II

Bountiful Hunting Grounds Beyond.
portage county oh
Back from the Kroger pick-up this morning. Took me 1 hr. 45 min. to go, pick up, return home and wipe every single item down before bringing into the house and then shower, clothes in the washer. Used way more Lysol wipes than I thought so will definitely mix a bucket up of some disinfectant next time around. Hoping this buy puts us at 3 weeks before we need another. Definitely got less than what was ordered though, $120 worth. Some can sizes went to the small and some items weren't available. All good though, I figured that would happen and over ordered some anyway. Noteworthy was the entire staff at Kroger (those I could see from my vehicle as well) all had gloves and face masks on. Also it seemed like 2 out of 3 people going in/out had mask and gloves on. Including an old man with a mask and gloves with his wife who had nothing on shopping together..... :rolleyes::cry:
Her wuz nekked - well I'll B

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
So these things happened just over the past couple of days within a mile or so from my home.
  • A person stabbed another person (that died supposedly) and was on the run within 1/4 mile from my home. Captured on the county airport flight line after a complete & total lock-down of the immediate area. (The following is a photo that I took from within my pickup while hurrying home after I heard about it on the radio scanner.)
    20200401_110714.jpg

• A recently Dewine released jailed prisoner started a car fire with him in it initially, then fled that area into the very nearby neighboring community - https://sciotovalleyguardian.com/20...oss-co-after-man-severely-burned-in-car-fire/
  • In both cases, military helicopters were dispatched, flying over my home looking for each of those individuals mentioned.
  • We even had a serious brush fire a couple of miles away that got completely out of control two days ago.
Just over the past week, I'm hearing an increase in chatter/activity of all kinds within our county's Police/Fire/EMS services. Increase calls in OD's, domestic disputes/violence, illnesses and so on. More than usual to be quite honest.

I expect this trend to continue as this 'stay in place' order/policy continues.

Stay healthy & safe everybody!

Edit: I failed to mentioned that this has never happened in all the years I've lived here over the past 6 years.

Last edited:

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
I'll just leave this here....

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/c...projected/ar-BB12fhcx?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U452DHP

I wonder if this will get picked up by our wonderful media.

And I'm glad you did, that's a great update! One in alignment with what they were hoping the initial outcome would be. Let's hope it's sustainable and the trend continues. Daily data is useful for very specific things. I don't believe it is in this case, I laugh every time I see Italy - oh ya, dropped in half, next day sets a new record.

It's clear it's dirty data, unfortunately this is the world these organizations live in and it's all they got. I feel bad that with the technology at hand we can't get "real" data and no one would get butt hurt over it. Only how they use it and the outcome of its use.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
And I'm glad you did, that's a great update! One in alignment with what they were hoping the initial outcome would be. Let's hope it's sustainable and the trend continues. Daily data is useful for very specific things. I don't believe it is in this case, I laugh every time I see Italy - oh ya, dropped in half, next day sets a new record.

It's clear it's dirty data, unfortunately this is the world these organizations live in and it's all they got. I feel bad that with the technology at hand we can't get "real" data and no one would get butt hurt over it. Only how they use it and the outcome of its use.

The problem is this only works as long as everyone remains cooped up. If we "return to normal" we're simply starting the next spike. They don't really want to publicly admit this, but over the next year this will be an "on again off again" new normal. The only viable plan, as it stands right now, is controlled exposure in batches until we've reached herd immunity. We'll relax things until we start to see a spike and start worrying about care capacity, then it's right back to stay at home orders until it falls again. Repeat as many times as i takes. What could speep that up is a massive increase in care capacity. The more care you have available the more people you can let get sick in each batch before you have to close things down again.. I think the next time closures will be more localized instead of widespread, but before we can get to a granular level of stay at home, we really have to ramp up test availability and contact tracing.

There's a slight disagreement on where herd immunity begins, but the range is 60-80% So far .0038% of the state has tested positive. Even if we assume that the 4,4448 who tested positive is only 20% of the cases and we missed 80%. that's still only .019% . We have a long way to go..

Reactions: 5Cent