Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2019 NM Barbary Sheep

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Just put in for a NR limited entry free range Barbary Sheep tag. The draw odds are around 15% so you never know. DonV from bowsite and I are going (if we draw). If we don't we may do an OTC hunt.

Free range barbary sheep is like #3 on my bucket list (Bucket list: Dal Sheep, Elk, Barbary Sheep, Grizzly/Brown Bear, Barren Ground Caribou, AK Moose, and etc).

I'm on the fence about the OTC hunt. It's pretty tough, really low success rate, and the chance of shooting a quality sheep are low.

Attachments

• Barbary+Sheep.jpg
    Barbary+Sheep.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 286

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
That will be a great hunt, if you are drawn!

I'm getting the urge to go back west for a hunt.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Are you still jogging/running to keep in shape? If not you might want to start again a couple months before you go. Those bad boys are in some of the most rugged stuff you will ever come across. Would be cool to go after them though. Good luck!

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Are you still jogging/running to keep in shape? If not you might want to start again a couple months before you go. Those bad boys are in some of the most rugged stuff you will ever come across. Would be cool to go after them though. Good luck!

Yelp... I'm going elk hunting in September. I try to do a lot of walking and leg work. My daily goal is 12500 steps. If I can get on a tread mill I walk/jog and slowing raise the incline to 12.5 - 15 degrees.

With day light savings time and as the weather warms I'll be able to start hiking the mountain again. I have a 5 mile trail that starts flat and then turns into 1.5 miles up hill (gaining around 1000 ft of elevation). I start out slow and add miles and weight to my pack as my stamina increases. I also lift weights too, but admittedly not as heavy as I used to (lighter weight more reps).

I did this last year for my elk hunt and it worked great. If this hunt works out it'll keep me focused on my fitness plan.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Yelp... I'm going elk hunting in September. I try to do a lot of walking and leg work. My daily goal is 12500 steps. If I can get on a tread mill I walk/jog and slowing raise the incline to 12.5 - 15 degrees.

With day light savings time and as the weather warms I'll be able to start hiking the mountain again. I have a 5 mile trail that starts flat and then turns into 1.5 miles up hill (gaining around 1000 ft of elevation). I start out slow and add miles and weight to my pack as my stamina increases. I also lift weights too, but admittedly not as heavy as I used to (lighter weight more reps).

I did this last year for my elk hunt and it worked great. If this hunt works out it'll keep me focused on my fitness plan.

Sounds like a solid workout there Chuck. One thing that is hard for us going out west is the elevation and lack of oxygen lol. Getting your legs use to working hills is one thing but working out those lungs will be huge.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Sounds like a solid workout there Chuck. One thing that is hard for us going out west is the elevation and lack of oxygen lol. Getting your legs use to working hills is one thing but working out those lungs will be huge.

Amen to that! Usually the first two or three days are tough. A few things that can help are getting in shape before you go, getting plenty of rest at night, avoid drinking alcohol while hunting, eat good food, and drink plenty of water.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Amen to that! Usually the first two or three days are tough. A few things that can help are getting in shape before you go, getting plenty of rest at night, avoid drinking alcohol while hunting, eat good food, and drink plenty of water.
I would agree with that. The first few days your sinuses are going crazy trying to adjust and your ears are always popping. Takes a little longer for our lungs and muscles to get use to the thinner air out there.
You are a little better off then I was being you have hills to walk/run up and down lmao. Last time I was out there I was half the age I am now and in way better shape but I don't have any hills to practice on here in NCO bigger then about 100' elevation change lmao.

At our ages we just have to take it slow and easy and keep a good steady pace and not overdue it lmao. Some of those hills are widow makers for more then one reason.

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
I would agree with that. The first few days your sinuses are going crazy trying to adjust and your ears are always popping. Takes a little longer for our lungs and muscles to get use to the thinner air out there.
You are a little better off then I was being you have hills to walk/run up and down lmao. Last time I was out there I was half the age I am now and in way better shape but I don't have any hills to practice on here in NCO bigger then about 100' elevation change lmao.

At our ages we just have to take it slow and easy and keep a good steady pace and not overdue it lmao. Some of those hills are widow makers for more then one reason.

Even if you don't have big hills to hike you can still get in shape for a mtn hunt. My recommendation is lots of miles on your feet with weight on your back. Lots of miles meaning hikes 3 to 5 miles. If you can find a place with small hills that'll help. Last Summer I was home in JTown for a week. The only terrain was in the "new edition" and I'd hike with 40 pounds on my back for about 4 miles. The hills where big, but they helped.

Reactions: RedCloud

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Dear CHARLES R BAUGHN,

Congratulations! The New Mexico Department of Game and Fish is pleased to announce that you were successful in drawing a2018-2019 hunting license for the following hunt code: BBY-1-100.Your license is available in your account and may be printed on any plain paper printer at your convenience. A carcass tag will be mailed to the address you provided with your application. Do not hunt without a valid license and tag! To access your account please go to http://onlinesales.wildlife.state.nm.usand log in. Information specific to your hunt code can be can be found in your account or in the current 2018-2019Hunting Rules and Information Booklet available online at http://www.wildlife.state.nm.us.Again, congratulations and good luck on your hunt!

WHOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!