Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

2021 Rut Report. What County? Conditions?

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I've picked up 6 new bucks on the cameras in the last 10 days. It's all night time activity, and it really died off the last 3 days. Makes me wonder if that's a weather thing, or if the first doe came into estrous somewhere else in the neighborhood. Judging by the forecast, I expect to see things ramping up in very short order.

Reactions: finelyshedded

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
I've picked up 6 new bucks on the cameras in the last 10 days. It's all night time activity, and it really died off the last 3 days. Makes me wonder if that's a weather thing, or if the first doe came into estrous somewhere else in the neighborhood. Judging by the forecast, I expect to see things ramping up in very short order.
Yes, I believe there’s does out there that are already getting bred and unfortunately most of the best action always happens after we climb down in the evenings. Lol

Reactions: Sgt Fury

Sauger

Warsaw
Coshocton county is wide open. You name we have it going on. The big boys are on their feet around 9 at night and 5 in the am. I would say by this weekend it's go time.
If it were me and I had time I would be in the stand all day tomorrow. There is no doubt they will be on their feet after this weather front we had. I have more and more showing up checking bedding areas and scrapes throughout the day, and smaller bucks chasing.

Wildlife

Denny
Supporting Member
Ross County, Ohio
Plenty of deer action went on this evening in Ross Co.

Taken while heading out to my stand this evening @4:30 p.m.
20211025_160612.jpg

After the rain quit, I encountered multiple does pissing in fresh scrapes, 25 yards away, a pair of bucks clashing multiple times in front of me, one of the more mature bucks freshening up a couple of those same scrapes those does pissed in and then licked the branches above them afterwards, Then after that, he also rubbed a tree right next to one of the largest scrapes, and all that occurred during the last hour of today's only hunt.

Some actual field video below of just a small portion of this evening's deer action with a few trail cam snap shots of one of bucks that walked away afterwards with a small cut just below his left eye. I lightened up the video some in order for it to be somewhat viewable. I have all the other deer from this evening as well on video, but anything that occurred after these two guys that went at it multiple time, is pretty much a wash and just too dark to make out. I will be posting the full version of today's hunt on my YouTube channel later on.

I have to believe that tomorrow ought to be a good day to get out with this latest cold front passing through because as soon as the rain quit this evening and the cold breezy air started to slam through right afterwards, those deer started moving and were out earlier than normal, more or less, except for the one I was hoping for, or at least, not at that setup anyways.

A total of five bucks and four big does within the last hour of daylight this evening and those bucks left the area tracking those big does, straight out into the nearby fields.

I'll be hunting a different county the next two mornings and I do expect much the same in deer action as this evening at that location as well with with these much cooler morning temperatures in the weather forecast.

Both counties that I hunt regularly this season have most definitely heated up with regards to deer activity and deer signs. ever since last Wednesday, which was the peak of the last full moon. Since then, deer scrapes and deer tree rubs have popped up all over the place in each of those counties.

Daylight buck action has steadily increased as well since then. I've been hunting nearly everyday over the past week, weather permitting of course, and I'm just loving every second of it!

The doe I shot in Hardin county, on Saturday, had a nice buck standing by her, by the time I got to where she fell. He didn't seem to want to leave his girlfriend. :unsure:
Sunday morning, I was hunting Allen county and ran across a scrape, in a location where there are usually a scrape or two, every year. So, I would say we're in the "pre-rut" and it's getting close. The local weather forecast mentioned a frost for this evening, which would certainly push those rut conditions.

Bowhunter57

JARHEAD

Behind you
Had to drive to Indy after work yesterday for work today. Just driving down the interstate before it got dark and that storm blew through there were deer in about every field. They've gotta be chasing now. Their definitely moving. Long drive between the storm and playing frogger with every deer along I70

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Extreme SE Ohio:
Scrape activity is at a peak. Been hearing some grunting. Young bucks are confused. Watched a 3 year old bumping does yesterday evening.
Coming at you LIVE from 4 o'clock on your radio dial 😂

Cams picked up last night. Had the Funky Fork on all 3 cell cams within 90 minutes. He's making his loop through our farm looking for a doe. Another shooter that I can't get good pics of, came through too. What's interesting is my scrapes are getting hit, but not by the big boys. It's almost all does and the occasional smaller buck.

Bowkills

Nw oh
I drive around 30-45mins a everyday looking for a deer to hunt. Im lucky to see 1 buck daily until it brakes loose. Saw 6 today. All young but it should keep getting better until the lightswitch flips. 70 to 80 percent of the corn is still standing around me and looks like it still will be the 1st week of november with the rain. It will b extremely hard to see rut this year for me anyways....