Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

3/1, still holding

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
I've only found 11 sheds so far. 3 fresh matched sets(3) bucks, 2 old ones and 3 single fresh ones. I pulled a TC card and had 6 different bucks with both sides. I'd say that 75% are still packing in my area.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Remember all the people bitching about the later ML dates and all the shed bucks that were gonna get shot ?

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Remember all the people bitching about the later ML dates and all the shed bucks that were gonna get shot ?
uploadfromtaptalk1456882189465.jpg

Found that one 2 years ago during muzzy. Never saw him last year, maybe someone mistook him for a big doe.

Carpn

*Supporting Member*
Wooster
Pretty much . Sure , some shed early . Usually when they do they are stressed and casting their antlers is just a precursor to them dying anyway . Not always tho. I remembered ML historicallly being in Jan ? I can't rember when it got changed , or even if but I swear it used to be late ? I dunno , I'm just rambling now . Just saying a small percentage shed early , most shed late Feb , and a small percentage carry's until late march . Heck , while working today I saw a giant fresh scrape .

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Pretty much . Sure , some shed early . Usually when they do they are stressed and casting their antlers is just a precursor to them dying anyway . Not always tho. I remembered ML historicallly being in Jan ? I can't rember when it got changed , or even if but I swear it used to be late ? I dunno , I'm just rambling now . Just saying a small percentage shed early , most shed late Feb , and a small percentage carry's until late march . Heck , while working today I saw a giant fresh scrape .
I agree with pretty much everything you've said Jake. Carry on! Lol

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
That shed I found in the pic looked like it wasn't ready to come off, the pedicle wasn't flat like the other sheds I've found. It had a big burr on it. Have any of you guys noticed this with wounded or dying bucks?

Dustinb80

#FACKCANCER
Supporting Member
S.W. Ohio
I pulled all of my cameras Sunday. I still had a bachelor group that was holding as of 2-25. This is on the new property which Im excited as hell about. Trying to establish a few mineral locations as well. Cameras will be going back out in a few weeks.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
That shed I found in the pic looked like it wasn't ready to come off, the pedicle wasn't flat like the other sheds I've found. It had a big burr on it. Have any of you guys noticed this with wounded or dying bucks?

No Chad but typically when a big or heavy shed is found with jagged bone,big or even small burrs on the pedicle or anything other than a normal looking cast shed antler there's a good chance that it was the last of the two sheds to fall and the owner prolly forced it off one way or another. This is normally the case for deer carrying antlers big enough to cause enough discomfort that they just want it off their head I'd imagine.

Just remember reading this a long time ago in NAW and I think it holds some water.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
No Chad but typically when a big or heavy shed is found with jagged bone,big or even small burrs on the pedicle or anything other than a normal looking cast shed antler there's a good chance that it was the last of the two sheds to fall and the owner prolly forced it off one way or another. This is normally the case for deer carrying antlers big enough to cause enough discomfort that they just want it off their head I'd imagine.

Just remember reading this a long time ago in NAW and I think it holds some water.
Good to know, I never did find the other side. Would of been a hell of a set.

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
The writer also said if he's shed hunting in snow and can track when he finds a big shed that's appears to have signs of being forced off he'll back track to find the one the just dropped off on its own. Likewise if he finds a big natural looking drop he'll keep following the tracks looking for the other one in case it was forced off. I can see that working I guess.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Saw a decent 8 point, had both sides still there.... Going too give it another week or so then start going in there looking too see if he lost them....