Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

30-30 for deer season in Ohio

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA
Any rumors of someday being able to use a 30-30 in Ohio?

The 30-30 ballistic data, using LEVERevolution ammo are not that different than the 45-70. The 30-30 is about 400 fps faster, but the 45-70 has more KE.

Lundy

I don't think so any time soon.

The first bottle neck cartridge the permit as legal will create a problem for them

Bigcountry40

Any rumors of someday being able to use a 30-30 in Ohio?

The 30-30 ballistic data, using LEVERevolution ammo are not that different than the 45-70. The 30-30 is about 400 fps faster, but the 45-70 has more KE.

Its arguably the most used/popular deer hunting rifle in the Country, why would Ohio want to give hunters any more options on a very affordable, ammo abundant, very available rifle?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Make no mistake the whole PCR agenda will someday include high powers. One of my reasons for opposing the PCR agenda from the start when BFA pushed it was I knew the above justification argument would rear its head eventually. "If XYZ is allowed then ABC should be too." Next thing you know we have 300 win mags legal and no deer.

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
Make no mistake the whole PCR agenda will someday include high powers. One of my reasons for opposing the PCR agenda from the start when BFA pushed it was I knew the above justification argument would rear its head eventually. "If XYZ is allowed then ABC should be too." Next thing you know we have 300 win mags legal and no deer.
I hope that day never comes

Bigcountry40

I hope that day never comes

In East/South east Ohio with the dividing line being like Ashland county I think 30-30's and the current list should be legal , I don't think anything more than a slug should be legal in the part of Ohio I grew up in (North West/North Central Ohio), way to flat and to many houses, etc, etc. We are talking about the 133 yard rule on another thread, I would say once every other year someones house in vickery ohio, is shot during deer season.

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
What boggles the mind is allowing the 450, 460. These are 200+ yard guns and the 30-30 and the 35 rem aren’t, sooner or later the two I first mentioned will start the debate on the others that’ll follow.

Mike

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Up Nort
What boggles the mind is allowing the 450, 460. These are 200+ yard guns and the 30-30 and the 35 rem aren’t, sooner or later the two I first mentioned will start the debate on the others that’ll follow.
Not to mention smokless muzzleloaders.
Their range can be 300 yards.[emoji16]

Thunderflight

Dignitary Member
Shermans Dale, PA

What is PCR and BFA?

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Yep. Buckeye Firearms Association.

You can already see how slippery the slope has become. First it was to allow rifles but only in straight walled pistol calibers. Then it became straight walled rifle calibers opening the door for things like the 45-70 & 45-110. Then pistol caliber somehow got dropped and now its just straight walled so enter the 450 and 460. Now here we sit using those calibers to justify the 30-30s. At this rate In a few seasons there will be arguments for other 30 cals like the 30-06. And if we get the 30-06 then what about the 7mm mag. Well now that we have the 7mm mag why not the 300 win mag.