Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

A couple Turkey

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Now we all know we don't have any turkey up here but I did find a few that must have been in the bag of corn :smiley_chinrub:

[video=youtube;8EwTPeAaeeE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EwTPeAaeeE&list=UUupWLBS53K9R-N7e9kCsO8Q&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

There are so few of them here in Allen county, that I've pretty much gave up on the idea of hunting them. Every time that I've gone turkey hunting, it's always been about 2 or more hours east of here.

However, since about the middle of the archery deer season, I've been seeing 6 toms wondering through the woods behind my house. I figured it was a fluke and I'd never see them again, but I've been seeing them all along. As a matter of fact, I seen 9 of them 2 weeks ago...in my back yard. Yesterday, I seen all 9 of them again, in a field just east of my house.

There might be hope of getting a turkey this spring, in my home county. I've always wanted to shoot a turkey...with a bow. :smiley_bril:
Bowhunter57

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
They prolly are just migrating through, LOL. No turkeys there.

I think they do just migrate through. The last redhead I had on cam had the same length beard as the one in the updated video.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
There are so few of them here in Allen county, that I've pretty much gave up on the idea of hunting them. Every time that I've gone turkey hunting, it's always been about 2 or more hours east of here.

However, since about the middle of the archery deer season, I've been seeing 6 toms wondering through the woods behind my house. I figured it was a fluke and I'd never see them again, but I've been seeing them all along. As a matter of fact, I seen 9 of them 2 weeks ago...in my back yard. Yesterday, I seen all 9 of them again, in a field just east of my house.

There might be hope of getting a turkey this spring, in my home county. I've always wanted to shoot a turkey...with a bow. :smiley_bril:
Bowhunter57

You sure your not living around here lol. The birds here are far and few between. You can find them on some properties while the next several country blocks are empty of turkey. Just glad to see some are starting to stick around on this property. Still the birds are looking a little on the young side and not ones I would be targeting to shoot. Maybe next year ;)

rossbows

Im glad to see your starting to get birds. I see them all the time around my house but six years ago there was none. They will get thick if they stick around.

dante322

*Supporting Member*
Crawford county
They will get thick if they stick around.

as long as we can knock down the yotes. I dont know of anyone that has seen a poult this year. not in the woods, on cam, not even driving down the road looking at fields. There were plenty of bones around the coyote dens though. I think the coons getting the eggs had an effect last year too.

dante322 said:
as long as we can knock down the yotes. I think the coons getting the eggs had an effect last year too.
dante322,
I'm with you on killing more coyotes and coons! My neighbor, that owns the woods where I've been seeing the turkeys, said that he killed 38 coons last year. His house is in the woods, but on the north side and I live on the south side...outside of the woods. Also, there's a red fox in there that he says has got to go, as it killed 19 of his chickens last year (his witnessed accounts). He has a baracade fence that keeps them from wondering more than 40 yards from his house, but otherwise all of his critters (cats, dogs, goats, chickens) are free range.

I gotta try to get out more and keep the predator population to an absolute minimum. Especially, since there are turkeys in the area.

RedCloud,
I know what you're saying about the turkey populations...or the lack of, around this area. I don't know where these birds came from, but I'm glad to see them. I used to see a few turkeys (5 or 6) around the S.R. 65 and US 30 area, but they seemed to have disappeared, about a year ago. Now I'm wondering if this is the same group/flock of birds with some new members. I'm in the S.R. 115 and S.R. 65 area, so that's only about 4 miles away. :smiley_chinrub:

Bowhunter57