Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Advice for a coworker...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member

He lives on the outskirts of columbus and is quite the city boy.... Anyway he stops by my cube this evening to tell me a coyote snatched his wife's poodle last night right out of the back yard... He said she let it out to go pee about 1am and went to get some water.. She heard the dog yelp for a couple seconds but by the time she got to the window the poodle was gone.... He said he's seen coyotes back there before and he's pretty sure that's what happened. He then asked me... "Is there anything I can do to keep them away.."

"Yeah, quit feeding em." :smiley_crocodile:

I'm sorry man, that's horrible, I don't mean to be so insensitive, but come on, you had to see that coming.

I don't think he shared in my humor... I went on to tell him there isn't much he can do living in the city with Alum creek park in his back yard.

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
Tell him $200 and I will come down and trap it for him.

Need $160 for the live trap and $50 to stop by the shelter and adopt a poodle to tie in there for bait lmao. 2 days tops I will have that sucker lol.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Tell him $200 and I will come down and trap it for him.

Need $160 for the live trap and $50 to stop by the shelter and adopt a poodle to tie in there for bait lmao. 2 days tops I will have that sucker lol.

lmao

You guys are killin' me....love it :smiley_crocodile:

One of the farmers' properties that I hunt coyotes on has a fair amount of cats around his barns. It kinda took me by suprise, but after I showed him my motion decoy, he said, "There's plenty of cats around here. Why don't you take one of them back there, stake it out and use it for a decoy. If the coyote gets him before you get a shot...no big loss." :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

RedCloud

Super Moderator
Super Mod
North Central Ohio
You guys are killin' me....love it :smiley_crocodile:

One of the farmers' properties that I hunt coyotes on has a fair amount of cats around his barns. It kinda took me by suprise, but after I showed him my motion decoy, he said, "There's plenty of cats around here. Why don't you take one of them back there, stake it out and use it for a decoy. If the coyote gets him before you get a shot...no big loss." :smiley_blink:

Bowhunter57

lmao

I thought about catching a rabbit in my live trap and doing that. Or do like my buddies friends in Florida do and keep the rabbit in the trap beside you and jab it every once in a while to make it squeal.

Huckleberry Finn

One of the farmers' properties that I hunt coyotes on has a fair amount of cats around his barns. It kinda took me by suprise, but after I showed him my motion decoy, he said, "There's plenty of cats around here. Why don't you take one of them back there, stake it out and use it for a decoy. If the coyote gets him before you get a shot...no big loss."
I have ALWAYS wondered if this would work

tuffshot

The Crew
I would suggest a snare like RD said.
He can buy them on line.
Might want to try another breed for bait though, Yorkies don't have such curly hair.
Or a chiwaawaa might be a nice snack.

Beentown

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Sunbury, OH
I knew an old guy that used to catch rabbits and run a line though the back of its legs and hang it from a tree. Kill the yote....release the rabbit if done for the day.