Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Any advice on public spots in ohio

Geotime

I’m up in Geauga county and there isn’t much public hunting land. The stuff we have is pounded hard. I’m on vacation next week and was thinking about heading south. I just don’t know where to begin looking. I know most people wouldn’t wanna give up a good spot if they found one but I’m gonna ask all the same.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Check out zeppernick wildlife area. Off of 172 Columbiana county by zeppernick lake just west of guilford lake

Bigcountry40

Look at odnr website, step 1 - pick out what ever large public property u prefer the more acreage the better, once hunting season is over get a hunting app, a good pair of hiking boots and spend a weekend marking a half dozen spots for the next year. This year - based on your current preparation I’m going assume walking mile or so across shitty terrain with a self climber and a back pack are probably not your thing, if it is basically do the same thing I said for off season scouting. Be prepared for pissed of hunter, disappoint and back breaking work. I just walked a mile on public land to my spot.

Geotime

I’m 39. Been in NE Ohio lol my life. My area has a few public spots but they suck. Over crowded as funk. There are more public spots but you gotta win lottery draw. Thats stupid. And of course those are the ones with the good terrain features I’d like to hunt with stuff that’s thick and swampy. And you have to apply like dring a one month window and I always forget. I was looking at Dillon wildlife area. Huge parcels. You southern guys are lucky. I’m gonna get down there and scout next summer.

Reactions: Sgt Fury