Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Arrowheads

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Anyone here collect Indian artifacts?

I have a few. Some I found, some my dad and grandpa found.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Wish I knew what happened to my grandpa's collection. I have never been very lucky to find any.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
All the time sam...all the time..never catch me in a field with my head up..

Buckmaster

Portage
I've spent 30+ years looking but never found one. I do find money all the time so I know how to look in the right direction.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Never found a one here in Ohio. Found plenty back in ms though that my father has. Seemed like I would find 4-5 a summer back home.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have found one and I also found a Morgan silver dollar in a creek once. Other than that nope.

Evidently when they would plow the fields at the inlaws farm they would find a bunch, all the family has a decent collection.

JPN

coshocton
I love looking for them. I have 2 shoe boxes full. Here's some of the better ones I put in a case...

Buckmaster

Portage
Question for you arrowhead seekers.....This 156 acre parcel I have access too has produced over 200 arrowheads out of their cornfields since 1956. I've seen the shoebox full along with display frame from the good ones.

I haven't found a one. Are they all gone or am I missing something?

There's beans and corn stubble from last years planting there now.

Ricer2231

I used to look for them all the time as a youngun. Every year at planting time I would go out and follow dad around the field as he plowed and look for arrowheads. I would also go out and look in the spring in other plowed fields, usually after a good rain. Here are the best ones I found over the years. When I first met my better half she took them out of my gun case and framed them with cotton backing for me. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362707558.085071.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362707574.336109.jpg

Ricer2231

Question for you arrowhead seekers.....This 156 acre parcel I have access too has produced over 200 arrowheads out of their cornfields since 1956. I've seen the shoebox full along with display frame from the good ones.

I haven't found a one. Are they all gone or am I missing something?

There's beans and corn stubble from last years planting there now.

I don't think they could ever be all gone. If the farmer plows in the spring get out there and do some looking right after he plows. Then get back out there again after a good rain. You would be surprised how you can look a field over and find nothing but a few chips and then ya get a good soaking rain and ya look again and find two or three points.

Milo

Tatonka guide.
If there have been that many found it was more than likely a village. That way too many heads to find in one spot to not be. There will be more you just have to train your eye what to look for. Usually flint heads are much different than the "normal" rocks you generally see..its kinda like morrel mushroom huntin.g

Buckmaster

Portage
The property borders a high spot along the Cuyahoga River so it wouldn't surprise me of an old village. This is within one mile of a Ohio college.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Hey Rick, I do know this for a fact.... The farm land across from the grocery store at home has been a gold mine for relics. The gentleman that use to live in that white farm house took me inside years ago . His knowledge of the landscape of the surrounding counties & their history was amazing.

Fullbore

South Eastern Ohio
Great thread Sam! I love hunting arrowheads Too! I like that big light colored Adena point you have Sam. I have a pretty descent collection myself. I will post them here for you guys shortly. Most of the points I have found are Adena, woodland and all of them were found in Ohio. I think it is so cool, to find something that someone made and used 500-1000 years ago.

Ohiosam

*Supporting Member*
Mahoning Co.
Nice ones JPN and Ricer:smiley_clap:

Since I mostly no-till I don't find many any more. I never go out just looking for them, but I do keep my eyes open for them when I'm out. A few years ago I was turkey hunting, got done and was walking across a 50-60 acre cornfield(not mine) that hadn't been plowed yet. A spot of grey caught my eye, I bet 80+% percent of the ground was covered, really lucky to find that one. Bifocals don't help looking for arrowheads or blood trails.

I don't really know all the different kinds. Ohio library has a good way to ID them. http://www.oplin.org/point/identify/unifbifa.html

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
I'm like Milo... head is always down when walking through fields. I have somewhat of a collection, but my problem is I only find pieces that have been broken. I've yet to find a complete, intact flint artifact.