Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Backyard deer

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I recently decided to lay corn out behind the house to feed the deer & I kinda created a lil monster. Deer are there all the time. I'm getting a few rinky dink bucks as well. I somewhat had the idea to use the crossbow for my late season opportunity to fill a tag, but it would be too easy. Cheating keeps coming to mind. Anyway, it certainly is nice to see 'em. I have this one particular doe that I call limpy. She's got something going on that's probably infected with a rear leg. Looks painful, but she appears ok otherwise.

MFDC2060.jpg

What's kinda odd, the few coon that have come thru never stopped at the corn, they just walked right thru it. This particular cam is the Moultrie A-30i. I picked up this & the A30 up earlier in the season. They're both black flash, look quite cheap, have minimal features, but they are true work horses. I love 'em.

Gordo

Athens County
Filling the freezer is filling the freezer as long as you follow the laws/regs. It's all personal preference and what gets you off.

I haven't killed shit this year and am starting to feel like a big pussy when entering the Meat/deli section of the grocery store. It does not get any easier that that! [emoji23]

Last edited:

Gordo

Athens County
As for turning your back yard into deer U.S.A.; the power of corn is still mind boggling to me. The deer simply cannot resist.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Don’t worry about it. It’s like gardening for meat. Find a ripe one and pick it.
Hahaha. Never heard it put this way. I don't mean to sound disrespectful to the deer but sometimes I lose all emotion. It is methodical. Game face on. Much like a farmer slaughtering a hog or cow. There is no satisfaction in it (well maybe for them as they have the pride of raising the livestock). It is simply a doe for the freezer. Not feeling like a hunter at this point. I am simply doing what I do for my family. Killing a deer simply for the meat.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Thanks guys. I dunno why I'm having a moral dilemma over this. I asked my wife & her reply was to just shoot one. I suppose on the flip side, since it's my property, I can make my own tag ... & still use my other for a possible buck on the other property ?

MK111

"Happy Hunting Grounds in the Sky"
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
You should be OK to use a landowner tag on your own property.
Over the last 25 years I've taken several legal deer in my yard. But almost all was when I had issues and couldn't get out.
Legal is legal. The local GW told me it was even legal to shoot a gun out of a house but not legal to shoot a gun close to a house with people in it.

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
Don't you have to have a certain amount of land to do landowners? I dunno for sure but heard that once. (True or not I dunno).
There is no stipulation on how much land you need to own to use a landowner tag.

I have kept my freezer full off our 2.34 acres for 9 years. There's next to no hunting pressure in our square mile and the herd is still very healthy. It's not so much hunting as selective harvest. Drop corn, kill deer. It is what it is, just gotta own it.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Don't you have to have a certain amount of land to do landowners? I dunno for sure but heard that once. (True or not I dunno).

I too have wondered about that over the years & never had a good answer. Like Jesse mentioned, someone else did tell me there was no minimal land requirement, but that's why I left the question mark. I could easily use my tag & my misery would be over just the same...lol

That's just TOO hilarious Chad !

Last edited:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Kevin, just shoot the deer with the bum leg, the wife already gave the blessing. Now you want to disappoint her, again? [emoji23]

finelyshedded

You know what!!!
Supporting Member
SW Ohio
Want me to send Braydon out? He has one requirement~~Brown! rotflmao

rotflmao

Fill the freezer with your xbow and use landowners tag. Xbow in this type conditions is the better weapon, IMO. Go ahead and shoot one Kev and fill your freezer.

Outdoorsfellar

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I think I've got an issue with my Lift 2. It's just not taking very many pics at all, even with deer coming & going left & right. I'm doing a side by side comparison with my A30i. Deer were just there & the Lift didn't capture a single one. Bad card ? Bad batteries ? Batteries are lithiums & new. I keep switching cards, so I'm giving it until the weekend to figure out. The cams were originally facing one another & the Lift's IRs werent always bright when it did take a pic. Right after this pic, a few more came in & started chasing another round & round up in the woods before all leaving. Button buck perhaps ?

Attachments

• 20180103_170843.jpg
    20180103_170843.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 154
Last edited: