Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Ball Head Tripod Installation

Uneven grounds require a Ball Head mount on a tripod to keep the rifle level. Some of these Ball Heads are expensive, but with my experiences with photography equipment I thought there had to be a less expensive alternative. I found a Zacro brand ball head off of Amazon for $23.50, shipped to my house. :cool:

I didn't want to alter any of the original BogPod Deathgrip parts, so I used a plastic cutting board for the base. I drilled the holes to match the "deathgrip" portion and mounted it to the ball head. The 3/8" bolt I used is too long and the fender washer diameter is too large, but I'll replace those parts. I just wanted to get it up and running to see how well it works. (y) The cutting board was from Meijer, $10.

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• Ball 1.jpeg
    Ball 1.jpeg
    118.6 KB · Views: 1,315
  • Ball 3.jpeg
    Ball 3.jpeg
    137.9 KB · Views: 1,348
  • Ball 4.jpeg
    Ball 4.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 1,138
  • Ball 5.jpeg
    Ball 5.jpeg
    121.3 KB · Views: 1,117
RAM mount knockoff?
"J",
I would imagine so...but at a lot less cost. :cool:
I've been into photography since '78, so I know a few shortcuts when it comes to similar equipment. I ran into the idea while watching a few YouTube coyote hunting videos and made the modifications from there. Plus, a guy on FB Ohio Coyote Hunters section had one, which made it easier, after looking at his photos.

Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
"J",
I would imagine so...but at a lot less cost. :cool:
I've been into photography since '78, so I know a few shortcuts when it comes to similar equipment. I ran into the idea while watching a few YouTube coyote hunting videos and made the modifications from there. Plus, a guy on FB Ohio Coyote Hunters section had one, which made it easier, after looking at his photos.

Bowhunter57
Always good too make things work and save money in the process.

Reactions: Bowhunter57
Well, after switching from a bolt action rifle to an AR, the balance point is different as it sits on the Ball Head. The original Ball Head is not heavy duty enough to hold the AR rifle in place. So, I purchased a K&F Concept brand that is all metal....and it was only $40. Twice as much as the original, but worth every penny, due to its' construction strength. (y)
I used the original section of cutting board, for the base platform and it works great. :) Actually, it's easier to lock down and moves smoother than the smaller/earlier version. This rifle with its' accessories, weighs 14#. I sighted it in, on Sunday and it'll hit a golf ball at 200 yards. :cool:

Bowhunter57

Attachments

• B7.jpg
    B7.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 2,128
  • B6.jpg
    B6.jpg
    116.8 KB · Views: 885
  • B5.jpg
    B5.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 899
  • B4.jpg
    B4.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,230
  • B3.jpg
    B3.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 930
  • B2.jpg
    B2.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 905
  • B1.jpg
    B1.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 1,592
  • AR10 1.jpg
    AR10 1.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 959

Noteg

Sôpvakia
Well, after switching from a bolt action rifle to an AR, the balance point is different as it sits on the Ball Head. The original Ball Head is not heavy duty enough to hold the AR rifle in place. So, I purchased a K&F Concept brand that is all metal....and it was only $40. Twice as much as the original, but worth every penny, due to its' construction strength. (y)
I used the original section of cutting board, for the base platform and it works great. :) Actually, it's easier to lock down and moves smoother than the smaller/earlier version. This rifle with its' accessories, weighs 14#. I sighted it in, on Sunday and it'll hit a golf ball at 200 yards. :cool:

Bowhunter57
hi

based on Your "model" i have purchased almost just the same K&F Concept,but with 35mm ball head
hope it will work out,just as good,as Yours

will give an update,as soon as i will get the item,and will finish the re-work

Reactions: Bowhunter57