Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bear Hunt Is On.....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Well it's official as of today... Fish & Game has passed code for an emergency bear hunt...
Just got back from Illinois last night from my worst hunt ever... Actually cut it short by a week and will eat the $300 gun tag...
I'll start baiting for bears tomorrow... Will keep y'all updated...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Should be good.. I threw out some apples this morning and checked card this afternoon .. Couple bears on cam ...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 117

Fletch

Supporting Member
Actually that pic a friend sent me... I think it's from a preserve... Tags.. I believe go on sale Thurs... Season is Dec. 5th. through Dec. 10th. That same week is our firearm buck week, so you can shoot a buck and a bear.... Anyone interested in coming to hunt, pm me and I'll point you to some good state land in Northern Jersey... Remember this state land has been closed to bear hunting for like 5 years, so gonna be quite a few shot on them...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Here's the regulations for this year's hunt... Some changes have been made from prior hunts... Three of the main ones are...a) no shooting of cubs, which means bear must be over 75 lbs. ( Hmmm.... Bear is technically a cub until it grows a certain tooth )... b) No shooting of sows with cubs... This one I like...c) No hunting within 300 ft of a bait site...Before you could sit right in the donuts as long as you weren't hunting out of a tree stand or blind....If in a blind or tree stand then you must be 300 ft. away....

Fletch

Supporting Member
Permits went on sale today at 10 AM. Went to Walmart and girl at sporting goods counter said they are not available... I said funny, friend just picked up his at Walmart... I told her sign in to the system and I'll coach ya through it... Holy shit there they are, now give me two... Can only harvest one bear but permits are zone specific and I have spots in 2 zones... So I'm good to go... Might go to Pa. tomorrow to check out a few spots for Sat. Usually I'm in Illinois for 2 1/2 weeks but cut that short... I had radiation for 9 weeks and it ended the week I left... Didn't think it would effect me... It started out in the 80s and dropped to the low 20s with wind... Guess the radiation screwed up my tolerance for cold as I was shaking up in a tree.. Said F. this and came home....

Permits went on sale today at 10 AM. Went to Walmart and girl at sporting goods counter said they are not available... I said funny, friend just picked up his at Walmart... I told her sign in to the system and I'll coach ya through it... Holy shit there they are, now give me two... Can only harvest one bear but permits are zone specific and I have spots in 2 zones... So I'm good to go... Might go to Pa. tomorrow to check out a few spots for Sat. Usually I'm in Illinois for 2 1/2 weeks but cut that short... I had radiation for 9 weeks and it ended the week I left... Didn't think it would effect me... It started out in the 80s and dropped to the low 20s with wind... Guess the radiation screwed up my tolerance for cold as I was shaking up in a tree.. Said F. this and came home....
Stay warm and GREAT luck to you!!

Fletch

Supporting Member
Dang Rich, sorry to hear about the radiation and effects of it and cutting your Illinois hunt short! Good luck on your bear hunts buddy! Looking forward to following along.
Ric... THANKS... It was a tiny spot... Drs. Said to leave it alone, it would never amount to anything... I said NO.. I WANT IT GONE... Should have waited till after hunting season...Hey who knew???

Fletch

Supporting Member
J... Hedgelj... Thanks....Like I said who knew what the effect would be... Everyone is different... Some say around week 6 you'll get very tired... That never happened, but I started having to piss every 20 minutes or so... And if you get the urge you better go... Plus diarrhea started... All things you can't deal with 20ft. up a tree... Guess everything affected when they are zapping you for 45 days... At least bear hunting I'll be on the ground and I'll just have a roll of paper towels stuffed in my back pack...
:ROFLMAO:

triple_duece

Ragin Cajun.
J... Hedgelj... Thanks....Like I said who knew what the effect would be... Everyone is different... Some say around week 6 you'll get very tired... That never happened, but I started having to piss every 20 minutes or so... And if you get the urge you better go... Plus diarrhea started... All things you can't deal with 20ft. up a tree... Guess everything affected when they are zapping you for 45 days... At least bear hunting I'll be on the ground and I'll just have a roll of paper towels stuffed in my back pack...
:ROFLMAO:
Eat a lot of donuts it will work as bait also 🤣. Good luck Rich, send me some pics.

Reactions: Fletch

Fletch

Supporting Member
Thanks Nick.... Took a ride to Pa. Today and things didn't look good... NO MAST CROP...So gonna save my money and just concentrate on Jersey...

Fletch

Supporting Member
Couple bears on a camera... On cousin's cam... Not a spot I'd hunt deer or bears... Note how open the woods is... Give me thick laurel etc...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: triple_duece