Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Been awhile - short season

at1010

*Supporting Member*
Friends of TOO! It has been far to long and I apologize.

I am excited to tell you I killed a nice buck opening morning at 830am.

So the story goes -
I hung a camera and patterned this deer. I didn’t do much he came through this oak ridge every morning. Opening morning wind was perfect. I setup at 530am and waited for the deer to move. At 827, that buck came down wind of me in a creek bank. I knew my thermals would be well above him there so I sat right and grabbed bow. He came up bank, turn broadside to head back into thicket. Full draw and a few “maaaps” later and he was hit right behind the shoulder.

This is really where the story began. I backed out and gave the deer two hours even though I knew I hit him perfect. I started in on the track with my cousin. We found blood right away and the arrow. Long story short, we searched for the deer for 7 hours Saturday. Ran out of blood and couldn’t find deer. Searched Sunday 3 hours by drone in this field I felt he died in and no luck. I then searched Monday after work - no luck. Finally on Tuesday- even though many friends told me “oh he’s probably alive”, I needed to search this one creek again. I found the buck 30 yards behind the stand where I shot him. He made a 500 yard loop.

I am humbled to take a deer like this opening day. I am sad I lost the great Lena protein. I am honored to honor him on my wall and proud of myself for my persistence.

Moral of story - trust your gut and shot. If you know you hit them good. Keep looking, good chance you’ll find him!!

0E80D1AC-D964-44AB-A63B-10C0D6FB6599.jpeg

0253550F-1B66-408F-B89F-E765965FC8E8.jpeg

BD4A2BAC-F393-426A-9198-1EACA3C32D0D.jpeg

thanks- that was a rage 2 blade, chisel tip. I’ve killed a lot of deer with those but I do believe it may have closed on itself. The hole in the front side lung was like the diameter of the arrow only.
May have been a fluke, who knows. I've shot a lot of deer with Rages over the years and haven't ever had an issue. But random stuff happens. Great deer man!! Congrats.

Reactions: at1010

at1010

*Supporting Member*
May have been a fluke, who knows. I've shot a lot of deer with Rages over the years and haven't ever had an issue. But random stuff happens. Great deer man!! Congrats.

I agree. I still have rages on my arrows and will shoot a couple does yes this year. Just a very odd situation for sure.

hickslawns

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Shot placement looks perfect. How was the exit? Where did the arrow exit? Great to see your persistence in the recovery.