Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Beginner Compound Bow Recommendations

Isaacorps

Columbus
I’m kicking around buying a compound bow and making the switch from crossbow for hunting. I have some experience shooting from when I was younger but not really much to speak of. I’ve been doing a lot of reading and researching on which bows are the best for beginners and have narrowed it down to one that really catches my eye. I’m looking for something that has a lot of adjustability and is somewhat forgiving for a new shooter. The one that I’m really looking hard at is the Diamond Archery Edge SB-1. I like that it is made by Bowtech and seems to be very well made. I may be completely off in thinking that this would be a good option for me but that’s why I’m putting it out there for different opinions. I know I will get a lot of opinions and solid advice from you guys on here who are much more knowledgeable about these things than I am. This isn't something that I’m necessarily going to be doing in the immediate future but definitely something I’m thinking of doing in the best year or so. I plan to get my hands on this one and some others as I know there’s a lot to be said for how a bow feels as well. Thanks in advance...

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
1AF57047-E044-4978-9C2D-95C16FE43C19.png

Isaacorps

Columbus
Also, a taller brace height would probably be a good idea until you get back in form.
Nate, this particular bow has a 7” brace height. Is that a reasonable place to start? Also, how do you feel about Diamond as a brand in general? I’m planning on going to the local shop and talking to the guys and do some shooting sometime soon as well

Fletch

Supporting Member
Like Ohio Whitetails and Sgt. Fury said: Handle a bunch and when you pick up the right one.... You'll know it... Also as said earlier get the biggest brace height you can... Also get one that has a poundage setting you can handle easily and is a pleasure to shoot... Then work your draw weight up gradually...

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Most of your bows are going to fall within an inch for brace and axle to axle lengths. They'll also be close to the same speeds which is a BS fudged number to begin with. Don't get too hung up on specs and try to find a shop where you can shoot a couple. Pay close attention to how the draw cycle, valley, and back wall feel. Stand a few feet from the target face and draw and shoot with your eyes closed. They'll all fling an arrow so no sense paying attention to how they fly as they won't be dialed in anyway.

Isaacorps

Columbus
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input. There’s a reputable shop near me that carries all the major brands and has walls full of different models. They’re good local guys that I’ve dealt with before so I’ll be heading over there sometime to pick their brains and shoot a few. This won’t be something I rush in to so I’m looking forward to the process. I love the challenge of learning something new...

Isaacorps

Columbus
I stopped by the local shop today and shot the Diamond Edge SB-1 and the Bowtech Convergence both at 60 lbs. My first impression? Wow have bows changed a lot since I last shot one! I really like both bows. The guy I was working with explained the differences in the 2 to me in detail and for the $250 price difference I couldn’t see the benefit in spending the extra money seeing that I’m just getting back into it. In all honesty the Diamond felt better in my hand and seemed much more comfortable overall to me. Sure it has cheaper accessories but those can be swapped out in time. And knowing myself I could easily see upgrading to a different bow altogether in a couple years lol. I was wanting to shoot the Mission MXR as well but they didn’t have one in stock. He’s gonna call me when they get one in. I’d like to shoot it for comparison sake being that the 2 I shot today are Bowtech products. I’d like to campare a Mathews product to see the difference. All in all I’d say there’s a 100% chance I’ll be switching over to a compound probably a lot sooner than I expected. PM me if your interested in a used Wicked Ridge Warrior HL 🤣
No, seriously, I’m selling it 👀

Isaacorps

Columbus
Lol, the wife won’t let you keep it? Because selling it to fund a new bow sounds like a terrible idea to me. Back up for cold days or ground hunting seem worth the couple hundred dollar exchange.
Nah, I just don’t see the need to keep it. I’m in the process of leaning out my arsenal. Never had a backup before so don’t see the need for one now. If shit goes south equipment wise I guess I’ll just be sidelined for a spell lol

Isaacorps

Columbus
Second stop on my tour de archery shops had me shooting the PSE Stinger Extreme and Bear LS-2 today. Both felt pretty good but I give the nod to the Bear. It’s a 2017 model but I think I prefer it to the 2019 PSE. I will say that it is VERY close as to which one I like better and if it came down to those 2 I would have to re-examine both more in depth. I do, however, think I like both of these better than than either the Diamond or the Bowtech. Decisions, decisions...

Reactions: Big_Holla