Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Beginning Hunter

Whodunit13579

Actually, the title of my threat is a bit of a misnomer. I have been hunting most of my life. However, the type of hunting in the tools are used to hunt have been quite limited. Mostly shotgun hunting for deer, squirrel, and rabbit, and some experience with the 22 in the Boy Scouts and plinking around plus a little bit of 22 hunting at close ( up to 100 yards) range. Last summer, I got a 25-06, but then had to sell it the next week after I got in a car crash. I recently got a 257 Weatherby Magnum for my birthday last month. Now I am looking to expand my hunting horizons. The idea of coyote hunting has always appealed to me. My hunting would be primarily limited to public lands unless somebody ever invites me to hunt with them on private land. From what I have read on a few posts here, I think the first thing I need to do is pick up an electronic collar. So, that being said is there any sort of equipment or advice that anybody has for me looking to start getting into hunting more? I know that I'm probably not including needed information but I'm not aware what that information is, so if people have advice and want more info I will gladly provide it :)

Whodunit13579

I'm not trying to be hand fed or anything, I just don't have any hunters in the family (except my father who exclusively hunts deer with a 12 gauge), and I don't have any friends who hunt. It's kind of hard to try to learn to hunt from Google lol. I've Ruth the forms and learned a lot from there. But, I know that there is so much that I missing. I guess what would be ideal would be somebody to hunt with ha ha.

Jackalope

Dignitary Member
Staff member
Hello and welcome to the forum. Are you primarily looking for information on coyote hunting? Sounds like you're onthe right track. You have a rifle, An e-caller will make calling them much easier but you can also do it with handheld calls. Te biggest thing is get down wind of where you think they are and make sure they can't circle down wind of you.

Whodunit13579

I suppose coyote hunting. But I'm not really sure what else there is to hunt right now. Some people say more, but fo some people say boar, but from what I have read that's kind of a pipe dream.

Whodunit13579

I have been able to find tracks a few times, but nothing to say those tracks were on a trail. Where do I look? Wood edges? Near water? Could I shoot some woodchucks and leave them out in a field as bait?

TimSr

What about suggestions on public lands I might try scouting/hunting?

You have tons of state wildlife areas, state forests, and Wayne national Forest all within a couple hours of you. Considering I Columbus is the halfway point for me to Zaleski State Forest, I'd consider it close to you! You can find a listing of state game lands on the ODNR wildohio website.

Websites and hunting magazines have different articles that are helpful, but your best learning experience will be to go out and start scouting, sitting, and observing. Go out, setup, and start calling. Worst case is you don't see a coyote. You might see something else. Watch it and learn. I've learned more about one thing when I've been hunting something else. I've learned more about deer habits and predicting their chosen path by following tracks in a fresh snow, or watching what routes they take when I kick one up while hunting squirrels. You will learn the most from just being afield.