Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Big Holla's Family Farm

Time to get it started. I often fade off keeping a hunting season journal active as the season goes as we end up doing so much more than just hunt at the farm. I thought maybe if I put all my farm updates, trail camera pics and farm projects in one spot perhaps you guys will enjoy following along. This will also be dedicated to my dad.

My dream build site......some day!!

1646147764874.jpeg

This past weekend we made a trip down first and foremost to drop off a cat we rescued up here to my sister. It was a trip that had been put off several times for the past month mostly due to weather.

1646147871166.png

My plans were to open up trails, check and install trail cameras, put out corn and mineral at our 2 mineral stumps, look for any antlers and just enjoy the weekend. We took our small dog Sadie down with us and give her an opportunity to run through the woods and perhaps stumble on an antler. Of course she had the front row seat getting out there.

1646147992860.jpeg

Many trees were down from the last storms that went through and I was glad I brought the Ryobi pole saw along. I had it down to the shortest length and man did it work great!! Had some real good sized logs to cut through and it did it's job well.

Had a pop-up blind we left out after muzzleloader season on the edge of a field that I went to go pick up. Wasn't there. A little while later after looking I found it blown into a thicket, surprisingly not destroyed.

1646148406624.jpeg

We also went by the old log cabin on our place. I've been thinking I should try to salvage some logs off of it before they all become completely rotted. My aunt and uncle (who we bought the farm from) moved into that house when they first bought the farm. I don't know the exact history of it as in when and who built it though, not sure how I would go about finding that out? I am pretty sure it was built in the late 1800's. Anyway, they lived in it for many years before building up by the main road to live. At one point, many years ago, a historical society had tried to buy it from them and the plan was to move it to Pomeroy to have it re-constructed the way my aunt and uncle remembered. My uncle turned them down and said he would rather sit in his window (up at the newer house) and watch it rot than have to travel to go see it somewhere else. It used to be 2 stories and was still standing when we bought the farm. However the roof blew off one year and it didn't take long for it to get to where it is at now.

1646148888550.jpeg

1646148912254.jpeg

Oh and here's a good rub we ran across.

1646149021700.jpeg