Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bilstein

OHIOOutdoors2

Unknown
The shocks on my truck were pretty shot. Ordered some 5100's and got the rear ones installed today. Will have a shop do the front ones with the coil springs. These are the adjustable ride height so I'm hoping to get the 2" out of it like they claim. We will see! One of the easiest shock swaps I have done compared to 78 F150 and F250 SD. (That rust spot abover shock got hit with some undercoating after pic). IMG_1206.jpg IMG_1205.jpg

Milo

Tatonka guide.
Don't have a shop do the fronts. They are easy. Remove the bottom bolt and pull the entire pack out and put the strut in the vice. You can get the coil pack compressor for free from Autozone. It helps to have an impact and once you get the pressure off it's one bolt and out. Really really easy. Sometimes they have the springs and struts as all one piece also.

5Cent

Supporting Member
Huron County, OH
I need to start ordering parts for this truck...this is on the list.
100K maint. on the ol girl next weekend. They are in addition to the 2 idler pulleys, tensioner pulley, and belt. Highly suggest you replacing, known cheap 100-120k replacement parts on the Duramax.

Drivetrain wise both diffs are getting some fresh juice, t-case refresh, tranny refresh, and brakes disassembled and lubricated. Just crossed 95K and if the pads are evenly worn and everything is sliding OK still, they will go back on. Pics to come, never had a set last this long.

giles

Village idiot and local whore
Supporting Member
In a bar
Yup, gonna do the big service myself.

Trans go, Jr.
Injectors
All new fluids
Shocks
Tires
EFI
Pulley system was done right before I bought it

Then drive the rust off it.

giles

Village idiot and local whore
Supporting Member
In a bar
Yeah, I talked to a guy that’s gonna handle it for me. Unless I do what the wife wants. But I really don’t want a nice truck, I want one I can use.

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Anyway... Back to the Bilsteins. Lol

Put a full set of 5100's on my F150 a couple months ago. Noticeable ride improvement from the factory shocks (110k miles). Very happy with them so far and I didn't measure it, but I'd say I got close to a full 2" lift on the front.

5Cent

Supporting Member
Huron County, OH
Homie, shocks don't add lift. Was gonna ask if ya it has coil overs but you said 5100 series specifically. What do I not know about Ford 1/2 tons that shocks gave ya measurable boost?

jagermeister

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Ohio
Homie, shocks don't add lift. Was gonna ask if ya it has coil overs but you said 5100 series specifically. What do I not know about Ford 1/2 tons that shocks gave ya measurable boost?
The front 5100 shocks have adjustable "lift." Change setting with a spanner wrench. It's just to level the front end.