Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Blackhorn 209

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Anyone else use it?

I switched up a lot on my muzzy this year. New optic (leuopold 1.25-4 firedot), bullet (240gr xtp mag) and to blackhorn209.

After sighting in and some load development, 20 rounds total, no change in effort to load rounds and clean up was a breeze, truly as easy as my centerfires with the addition of cleaning the breechplug.

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Good to hear! I am in need of a switch after having multiple 777 pellets not fully ignite due what I suspect is moisture absorption. The box is 8yrs old but always stored inside and never left the gun loaded.

Are you using pellets or loose?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Good to hear! I am in need of a switch after having multiple 777 pellets not fully ignite due what I suspect is moisture absorption. The box is 8yrs old but always stored inside and never left the gun loaded.

Are you using pellets or loose?
It only comes in loose afaik.

Triple 7 is known to absorb moisture and become harder to ignite.
https://www.chuckhawks.com/blackpowder_breakthrough.htm

Reactions: Mike

bowhunter1023

Owner/Operator
Staff member
Appalachia
I'd like to make the change this year myself. Since I'm off from Saturday through the 2nd, that will likely happen. Tired of how dirty the pellets leave my barrel.

Sgt Fury

Sgt. Spellchecker
Good to know about the 777 pellets. I haven’t hunted black powder in several years and my pellets are stored in my basement....better throw them out and get new when I decide to pick up the black powder rifle again.

lung buster

hocking county
I always say I'm going to switch but mine and the kids guns require a different breach plug and I always put it off. Everyone I know that uses it loves it!

brock ratcliff

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
I’ve used it for the last three or four years. I love the stuff. I use 90 grains by volume, I think. It’s a snap to clean up and I have never had an ignition failure.

I’ve used it for the last three or four years. I love the stuff. I use 90 grains by volume, I think. It’s a snap to clean up and I have never had an ignition failure.

We use it the exact same load in my son's CVA Optima and it really is easier to clean. I've used granular Pyrodex for years and asked around here what others recommended and BH209 was it hands down. Shot it 6 times after gun season just for fun and it was one of the faster/easier gun cleanings yet.

Reactions: Mike and Sgt Fury

Jamie

Ohio
I have a bottle of it, unopened, that I bought for a buddy while on a trip north that took me to Sportsmans Den in Shelby. buddy died before I gave it to him. I don't own a ML. anyone interested?

5Cent

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
North Central Ohio
Any of you that converted straight from 777 to blackhorn, what were your prior loads prior and after?

Looks like a 100gr load of 777 is comparible to 80ish by volume of blackhorn?

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
Any of you that converted straight from 777 to blackhorn, what were your prior loads prior and after?

Looks like a 100gr load of 777 is comparible to 80ish by volume of blackhorn?
I messed around with more than powder but ended up liking the grouping at 10gr less.

I'm running 100gr blackhorn209, was at 110 of triple 7.

Hedgelj

Supporting Member
Mohicanish
I have the CVA optima. Is it recommended to get the black horn 209 breach plug or can you use the one that comes standard with it for the black horn powder
You need to use standard 209 primers, so whatever breech plug allows that should work. I have an omega and just use the standard 209 beech plug, nothing special.