Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

Bore snake for .22

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Bought the bore snake for the .22 and 5.56 but doesn't seem too work on either my marlin .22 mag or the glenfield model 60. Did I make a mistake in thinking this should work on the .22 mag and lr? Won't go down either barrel...

Twenty-two caliber is twenty-two caliber, so it should work just fine. What do you mean by "it won't go down the barrel"? Is there too much crud built up, spider web, mud or other obstruction?

Does the brass leader on the bore snake have a burr on it?
How far will the bore snake go into the bore before it stops?

Bowhunter57

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Brass snake goes down just fine... I've ran the bore brush on the rod and it'll go up and down it just fine but the bore snake won't even start down it and pulling on the brass snake too the point of its about too snap... Just wondering if its too big and was marked wrong?

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
Not sure what the problem would be J. I have a bore snake (Hogden) and use it on .22, .22 mag, 22.250, and ,223 and it works WELL. Some time have to add "force". I have a 8" piece of broom stick I wrap the string around a couple of times to give me a good handle!

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
I'm thinking its the wrong snake in the box.... I'll try too use the broom handle on it maybe since my surgery I may have lost some strength in the hand and the broom handle should make up for it.... Stay tuned lol...

Jamie

Ohio
methinks you either have mismarked bore snake or you just need to pull harder. the caliber is stamped on the brass leader of all on mine. I own bore snakes for every caliber of gun I own. easy and effective. love em. they are kinda hard to pull down a .22 rifle barrel, but not impossible. maybe you could get your wife to help? lmao

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
methinks you either have mismarked bore snake or you just need to pull harder. the caliber is stamped on the brass leader of all on mine. I own bore snakes for every caliber of gun I own. easy and effective. love em. they are kinda hard to pull down a .22 rifle barrel, but not impossible. maybe you could get your wife to help? lmao

Jamie is it too early too say kiss my ass..... rotflmao I'll have the wife yank on it a little for good measure lol.... I'll check the brass jag too see if its stamped (did not know that it was) thanks for the heads up... I'm out with the family celebrating my daughters 21 birthday and playing the dd... I'll check it when I get home and let you know...

Jamie

Ohio
aw shucks, J, is never too early to tell me to kiss your ass. :smiley_coolpeace: always helps to have your wife pull on it. er, a, our wives, that is. well, shit, you know what I mean...

my daughter 22 now. happy birthday to yours. I just don't see how I'm possibly old enough to have adult (sort of) children. just a kid myself. rotflmao

I have Hoppes bore snakes. different brands may not be stamped like mine, I dunno.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Well it was stamped .22 and up too this point I didn't want too snapp it of in the bore but after talking too you a d basically Jamie calling me a wuss rotflmao I decided too go for broke... Literally lol... It started really tight so I wrapped the string around my boot and just pulled the gun straight up in the air.... The whole time I'm thinking this things going too come apart.... But it didn't well the jag did, it's just crimped on and it popped off right off the bat lol... So you were right jamie it's definitely tuff too get it through that .22 bore but I did it and none the worse for wear :smiley_clap:

Oh and I agree with you 100% about being too young too have kids that old hahaha

Ted I'm thinking that broom handle deal is going too make it my way the next time I do this lol...

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
Picture 1 is the jag separated picture 2 is the difference in diameter between the bore snake and the cleaning rod.... And picture three is the wife and daughter at Fridays in boardman where Kayla wanted too go for her birthday dinner/drink.... She got mad because they didn't card her rotflmao

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 154
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    199.5 KB · Views: 162

Jamie

Ohio
victory is yours, it appears. how did the brass jag come off? were you like pulling on the jag itself? I drop jag down barrel, get enough of the pull string through to wrap around my hand, then pull the rest through. once barrel is clean, is much easier to pull it through, but it is supposed to be a tight fit. usually do two or three passes. a few drops of Bore Venom or Breakfree CLP forward of brushes and you clean and lube in one step.

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
The jag pulled off when I had the string wrapped around my hand pulling and it just popped off... It's just crimped on like an electrical connector and I think it wasn't crimped very well... Mines the hoppes as well... Ran through bob guns about a half dozen times ea and it got a little easier but not a whole lot... Plus I had already ran the cleaning rod and brush through them a couple of times...

COB-TY

Retired to the happy hunting grounds above.
Ohio
J maybe if you would clean it more than once every ten years it would be easier! rotflmao:smiley_clap:

"J"

Git Off My Lawn
Supporting Member
North Carolina
J maybe if you would clean it more than once every ten years it would be easier! rotflmao:smiley_clap:

Banks for the heads up Ted rotflmao

I actually cleaned it before I put them away last fall lol... Had the cleaning rod through them and picked up the bore snake last week thinking it would be a good addition too the arsenal lol...