Welcome to TheOhioOutdoors
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Login or sign up today!
Login / Join

bthompson's Season of Project Turnaround

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
After chasing out tresspasser after tresspasser last year, figuring out some deer movement and adding some mineral sites this summer and a few feed blocks...I finally got some deer on camera at this property...some good ones for my area as well as twin fawns!...couldn't have been happier.

I snuck in around 6pm last evening, and bumped 2 deer out as I got withing 20yds of my stand...after they were gone, I climbed up and started to pull my bow up when I realized the hoist rope was stuck on my bottom climbing stick...So I unhook, get down and untangle it and start over...just sat down with my bow on the hanger and saw a tail flickering...Shut up!, I thought I bumped everything out...Well, she ran around me to the south and stopped perfectly broadside just east of me (my left from the stand) and I let the first arrow fly...hit her hard, in the rib cage, might be a little high and a little farther back than I wanted, but after checking the arrow there is bright red blood on the fletchings and it doesn't smell like shit, so I'm hoping it punched the top of her lungs...Yes, I haven't found here yet, but I think I will...just have to check harder where I think she was bedding down.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
FML!.... There was a doe in beddin when i searched last night before dark...she came out and blew me off at. 8 yds, face to face...if that small doe was with her then she took off together...even the blood i found last night was non-existant today....i searched all bedding and exits where i thought she ran too...didn 't go in till 130 this afternoon.

Thanks for the support and positive words everyone...just no dice today

Bigslam51

Dignitary Member
Supporting Member
Stark County
FML!.... There was a doe in beddin when i searched last night before dark...she came out and blew me off at. 8 yds, face to face...if that small doe was with her then she took off together...even the blood i found last night was non-existant today....i searched all bedding and exits where i thought she ran too...didn 't go in till 130 this afternoon.

Thanks for the support and positive words everyone...just no dice today

If that happens again and its this hot out, I wouldn't wait til 1:30.

Joel

Centerburg, Ohio
I know that feeling of wounding one and not finding it and it sucks. That's the last thing I want to do is injure a deer or give it a slow painful death turning them into coyote food.

Hope the rest of your season goes better man, sorry to hear this.

bthompson1004

NWOhio!
It really does suck...i've been sick all day about this...i should have just backed out for the night and let her bed down forthe night...hind sight is 20/20 right?! Bigslam, you're right, i should have found a way to be there at sun up, but i decided to get at least a half a day of work in and go back in the middle of the day when the deer wouldn 't be there...i already spent a lot of time sweating my ass off in that bedding area last night so i hope it rains tonight like its suppose to.

I did put the cameras back out, in hopes to at least see if she shows up on cam, and i will get back in the saddle in a couple of weeks...maybe this weekend if the high on saturday is mid 50's i'll do a morning sit for my birthday.

It sure was nice to see a few deer on my first sit of the year though, this is a whole new place compared to last season.